Should I replace Focus plugs and leads?

I bought an 03 Focus 1.6 about 18 months ago without a service history. We tend to run old bangers into the ground and take pot-luck with neglecting the servicing, we usually get away with no expensive bills :-).

I'm about to book it in for an MoT and get the oil changed while it's there. I've heard about non-approved plugs and leads damaging the coil pack, but is it also important to change them regularly even if the car's running OK? How much is it likely to cost?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

1.8 Zetec? Yes, change them. They're almost a service item on those IME. I think the last set I bought at a dealer was about £48 for leads.
Reply to
Mike P

The usual failure mode is a slight mis-fire. If ignored, that may damage the coil. Genuine plugs/leads were around 85UKP last time I checked; a coil was 100UKP.

If you are on a shoestring, it would at least be worth removing the plugs to see how worn they are, and re-gapping them (to 1mm).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Forgot to mention that there are reports that the misfire can kill the ECU, which would possibly render it as an uneconomic repair.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If bad leads kill the coil from over work, then yes it can spike the ECU and blow the output drivers. Usual symptom is 2cyl's firing, 2 dead.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..