  3. Wiper arm hinge pin worn
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Had that.

And that.

That's a new one.

Reply to
SteveH

Replacing a wiper blade is (or should be) a simple job, but different makers of wipers blades use the plastic retainer with subtle differences, presumably just to prevent switching to a different (or cheaper) make. sometimes I have to cut off a tiny stub, which is clearly there just to make it incompatible.

Reply to
johannes

Just seen Mr C's mot thread reminded me to post this as regards to new failure items being introduced from Jan 1st 2012.

We had our local yearly mot seminar & new failure items are being introduced from Jan 1st 2012, I'll list a few here:

(1)all driveshaft gaiters will be a failure as it stands at the moment its only front outer ones. (2)tyre pressure monitering system warning light illuminated indicating a fault. (3)electrical wiring, insecure,chaffing etc (4)insecure battery, contary to belief its never been a failure. (5)tow bar wiring, but only those vehicles with a 13 pin socket, I believe to be after 2008 > new bit of mot test kit will be required to test the socket/wiring (6)main beam warning light not working (7)dashboard malfunction warning lamp illuminated indicating a fault ie defective electronic power steering, electronic stability control etc etc (8) SRS light illuminated (9) HiD lights (High Intensity Discharge Lights) will be checked for conforminty. (10) suspension gaiters that hold a lubricant ie track rod end, swivel gaiters etc split or missing, now they are not 100% sure on this at the moment, but will keep us posted nearer the time. (11) steering lock system must work (12) testing LPG for leaks, we will have to use a spray to dectect gas leaks (13) Cat's will be checked to see if they are fitted to a vehicle that requires them & they arnt missing.

there are some more items,but cant remember them all as I've done this list from memory as my paper work is at work at the mo.

special notice 1-2011 January 2011

matters of testing

reg

[...]

Can't see how that can be a failure.

Already is a failure.

Another one where I can't see how they can fail it.

And this.

Impossible to check properly.

That has to be bullshit.

And this is myth - if a car passes without cats fitted, then it doesn't need them. There's no requirement to have cats, just a requirement to pass the emissions test.

A lot of myth and rumour around at the moment. Sadly much being spread by people who should know better - as in those who presented your seminar!

Reply to
SteveH

We once had a car that passed even though the horn was barely audible with the engine running (and caused the lights to dim, so it must have had a short). Mind you, that was a Talbot Horizon, so it was difficult to hear anything with the engine running and the horn was redundant.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

this was the hinge at the motor end !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Wear in which could easily cause insufficient pressure on the blade.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for that kindly Reg, I think I'll address that slit split in the front O/S track rod end gaiter sooner than later. A bit annoyed as its barely over 6 months old, but a pattern part from GSF not sure if thats the issue as I use all parts from them with no issue. But its not a major job, more annoying as you have to get the tracking done after as counting the turns might not be so accurate come replacement time.

Reply to
Pete

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it isn't. It isn't even a requirement to be fitted.

Reply to
Adrian

Really? - I'm sure I've sat outside an MOT place fiddling with the switch in a car to ensure the little LED came on after it came up on an MOT.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm sure you have. Many people have fannied about with spare wheels, too.

But... if it ain't in the "Reasons for Rejection", it ain't a fail.

Adrian

Made no difference to pressure, the given reason was that the wiper might fall off, 8 years or more later it was still on, probably still is.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

many years ago I have had failures for m/b warning inop too. and horn ring fails to operate at all points

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Shit !!! (13) the cats been cut off the diesel picasso due to it rotting - piece of pipe now in its place - is this for certian as I'll sell the bugger before fitting a new cat to it !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Staffbull gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I doubt your Picasso has a cat. It may have a particulate filter, but that's a different kettle of fish. It's petrol cats that're being referred to.

Reply to
Adrian

My 1997 Pug 306 1.9l TD had a cat, not a DPF. Even though it was mechanical injection. When it snapped, the MOT tester said I needn't put a cat back on as it was not the content of the diesel exhaust that was measured, but the opacity of the gas. I presume that that is now going to change.

David

Reply to
David

David gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I bet it didn't.

306s had moved to electronic before then.
Reply to
Adrian

sorry, but it had a Lucas CAV injector pump and indirect injection.

Reply to
David