Simular Problem

> Helpful advice, thanks. The only thing I would say is that the arm I

> > need to replace has only done 15,000 miles (two years) and is a > > genuine Ford arm. I'm fairly certain the movement the MOTer noticed > > was on the inner bushes and not the balljoint (yet). I take your > > point, though. Do you think that a third party one would last a couple > > of years? If so, that's probably going to outlast the rest of the > > car : )) > > > ATB Larry > > The one my son-in-law fitted to his Escort van after an MOT fail developed > enough play to fail its next MOT one year later... > > Chris > > -- > Remove prejudice to reply.

Hi guys! just read this post and am having a simular'ish problem! Just wondering if I could pick your brains as you seem to be pretty knowlagable about this?

I have a 1996 Ford Escort Van and recently has started to develop a serious fault. As you accelerate the van tries to pull to the right, then as soon as you press the clutch and the 'drive' is removed from the wheels the van almost wobbles, it steers itself slightly left then right then left very slightly and quickly. another problem with it is if you accelerate hard (Usualy in gear 3) it pulls allot to the right which requires you to counter steer it and then again when you remove the power by pushing the clutch in it pulls hugely to the left which again requires counter steering.

I have had the half shafts out to inspect them and found that one of the 'tripod' bearings had been forced out of the CV joint and down the splined half shaft. With a new circlip in place and the 'tripod' bearings back in there correct place it still has this fualt!

I cant realy find any play in any part of the suspension and am lost as to what to try next.

The bearings are very grumbly but could this cause a fualt this serious? also could this be down to tracking hugely out??

Reply to
andrewskinner405

Possibly, but unlikely. Check simple things like tyre pressures all round, worn tyres.

How long has this been going on for and did it start suddenly or gradually get there? Sounds like this car should not be driven until it's been sorted!

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

After properly checking all the suspension and tyres the next step might be a very worn diff, apparently the diff can jam and send all the power (or most of it to one shaft only) which gives some amazing steering. (this info came from a techie who was at Boreham Ford research place, I haven't come across it personally ) might fit with your grumbly bearing noises too. I imagine you could gauge severe diff bearing wear by seeing how much the inner end of the drive shaft can be moved sideways.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Would that not be obvious, if the the front end were lifted and turning one wheel didn't make the opposite one turn and fairly easily?

(this info came

I would suggest it is most likely a failed bush on the wishbone allowing lots of movement at the wheel as power is applied. Could the OP perhaps get someone to watch each wheel from the side, for rear ward movement as the clutch is released on as steep an uphill as can be found and with as much load weight as can be put in the van?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Bloody Google Groups. "This post" actually dates from April 2008. It would be better to start a new thread with your problem because most of us here don't use Google Groups [spit] and can't read the other posts in the original thread.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

apparently the diff itself lifts (or pushes down) under power and then jams against the casing, so it doesn't show on inspection by only one wheel turning. I agree the most likely is some horrendously worn suspension component, but you never know............

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It'll also chew the speedo drive gear up if it does that.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What's a simular?

Reply to
SteveH

Duncan Wood

Yes, but it's not the correct word in this context....

Reply to
SteveH

You mean it's not a virtual van?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Maybe it's one of these:

SteveH

te:

w.italiancar.co.uk- Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

Hey guys! Sorry for the confusion, havent used this before and its all new to me. Just found an old post while searching the net.

Thanks for your advice so far, I have been out and bought new wheel bearings for the front as they need doing anyway, one thing i did notice today that could be a clue was when I bumped up a low curb coming onto my drive the left hand side suspension made a 'dunk' noise. Does this help narrow down the possible problems in any way?

Sorry again for the confusion with the posts

Reply to
andrewskinner405

probably bottom ball joint, just change the whole arm

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Which'll sort out 1/2 the bushes. Do the anti roll bar ones whilst it's in bits & it'll be way more pleasant to drive.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

But that's a 'simulator' or the verb 'to simulate'

Again: What is 'simular' ?

Here is says that a 'simular' is one that simulates, i.e. a pretender. E.g. you find very many simulars on usenet.

Reply to
johannes

thank you for this post. wonderful post from your side.

Reply to
shonewillym

Ok just a little update.

Finaly got round to replacing the last wheel bearing today and what a shock! took off the drivers side wheel bearing (the one that was making a terrible noise) and the bearings had huge amounts of play in it and when spun sounded like they were full of grit. I a havent been able to test the van again yet becuse I finished it off at about

11.30pm and there are 4 cars in the way lol but I have a tiny bit of hope that this may have been the cause of the problem seeing as the rest of the suspension and steering looks and feels ok.

Will update tomorrow when I have taken it for a ride! Fingers crossed!

Andy

Reply to
andrewskinner405

Just to let you guys know what it was, Had a mechanic look at it for me and the differential bearings have worn. Because the diff can now move it jams against the gearbox casing depending on whether the power is on or off and causes the van to pull and swerve as power is sent to different wheels and different times. So got a second hand gearbox from the scrappy for =A345 and going to fit it tomorrow! Fingers crossed :D

Reply to
andrewskinner405

Well, there you go. My friend the techie was dead right!!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful