Slightly off topic,but why do lorrys pass plateing with non working reversing lights?

hi,

hope some one might be able to answer this questions. had our horse lorry a awd box, sent for a pre plateing service and tacho calibration.

1:- we knew the reversing lights did not work and could not sort out and asked the garage to fix.on inspection after collection,we found the lights still non operating and upon questioning the chap he informed us theye were not part of the requirement for mot!.on a car they are so why not a lorry.they are fitted as part of the rear light cluster and wired in.

2:- the tacho requried calibration as it expired in 97.when it was taken in it was tested on the rolling road and was spot on or approx 0.5 kmh out at

40 and 60 kmh. after 1 hour and removal and calibration and retes the tacho was now 2-3 kmh out at 40 and 60kmh1 and in spec.

any answers? we baffled with the information and out come,just hope it passes on thursday now!

many thanks for any info.

adrian

MIND THE SPAM TRAP!!! Take of "PANTS" to reply!!

***************** Adrian And Nicola's E-Mail Disclaimer ***************** This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation. ********************************************************************** Information contained in this email or any attachment may be of a confidential nature which should not be disclosed to, copied or used by anyone other than the addressee. It may also be legally privileged. If you receive this email in error,please delete the email from your, computer and notify the sender immediately by return E-mail This email has been scanned for all viruses by Norton Antivirus.
Reply to
adrian

They aren't part of the MOT for a car.

Most likely 0.5kmh under. You can't have a speedo underreading, but overreading is fine. The limit for cars is 10% AFAIK.

Reply to
Doki

+6% according to a traffic cop that pops in to our place a lot.
Reply to
Chewie (Just for Olaf to read it)

Bloody good job they don't check it on the MOT then, because mine seems to be 10% over. I've read 10% quoted here and on the interweb a lot of times though.

Reply to
Doki

From what i rememember, speedo's have to be accurate or slightly over reading at 30 mph.. above that they will wander.. mechanical ones anyway, hence the percentage rule.. i always thought it was 10% too.. but that's only 6mph allowed at 60 mph, not much at that speed, especialy if it was in my old pug 309.. where the needle would wobble by 5mph anyway,

Maybe the 10% thing is confused to the 10 mph over the limit the police used to book you for.. a few years ago the papers naming and shaming local speeders.. always said something like '...doing 43 mph in a 30 limit' never anyone done for doing 42 mph, or even 40 in a 30.. always 13 mph over, but nowadays it seems to have crept down to people getting done for doing 39 in a 30, and so on, which i suppose if the speedo is mechanical, means it's showing you doing about 45 anyway.

Reply to
CampinGazz

AFAIK, it is (or used to be) 10% + 3mph for the Police. So 36mph in a 30 limit, 47mph in a 40 limit and 80mph on the motorway etc.

David Hearn