85 camry clutch slipping

alright so its time for a new clutch the one I have is slipping pretty bad what parts do I need to buy in order to fix this problem. I can get a discount on parts then I just find a shop to do the replacement. Unless anyone might be able to tell me or show me were I could learn to do it myself I learn very easily.

Reply to
rockhard

Need cltuch disc (rebuilt ok), pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing --- off time to drain old trans fluid and refill too. Get a Haynes or Clymer book and see if you want to tackle. Most repair shops would prefer to buy/use their own supplied parts (they make a few buck there too). If it has been slipping for awhile now you may have to remove and turn the flywheel too (if gouged or has blue burn marks.).

Reply to
Wolfgang

================ While the transmission is off would be a good idea to also change the rear main oil seal. If you have a mechanic do the work I would advise against supplying your own parts. Once brought in a brand new synchromesh hub fresh from the dealer's part counter for replacement by a mechanic. When the repair didn't work correctly he blamed the part I supplied. Lots of general automotive books ought to show you how to change a clutch. Depends on your experience, aptitude and tools whether you should attempt it. See:

Daniel

  1. don't supply your own part(s) This will only infuriate the mechanic, and take part of his profit out of the repair, and (see above)...you don't want to be blamed for supplying the wrong part, inferior part, etc by the mechanic if the job goes wrong.
  2. Think long and hard before deciding to replace the clutch yourself, if your repair experience is minimal or confined to things like replacing an alternator, changing plugs etc. A clutch job is big time.

Reply to
mack