Sluggish 1.8 Turbo Diesel Mondeo

L reg, 118K.

There is a serious lag in acceleration. (0-30mph takes 17 seconds with foot on the floor) Its performance is worse when cold. The temperature gauge is on the 'N' of normal (1/3rd) so i presume it is never gets up to temperature. Sometimes at high revs (3000 +) I feel a kick but in only lasts for 1/4 second. In idle, it takes about 3 seconds before there is ANY acceleration.

Having looked through other threads the things I need to check are air in fuel fuel filter wastegate air leak

I've never worked on a diesels so ... Where is the fuel filter / fuel pump Where is the easiest point to put clear pipe in fuel line to check for air Where is the wastegate, how do you test it. How do you check for air leaks What temperature should it be when hot and where should I measure it.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
mark_doherty

In message , mark snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

You need to get hold of a Haynes manual so that you can find your way around the engine.

Other things to consider are split fuel boost diaphragm and possible EGR valve problem.

If you haven't done so already, take a look here :-

Paul Giverin

I would say you have more than a split aneroid hose if 0-30 is taking this long! If it was just a split hose it would behave pretty much as a ~70bhp NA

1.8 diesel, which would be about 17 seconds to 60!

Suggest you first check that the turbo isnt seized or the exhuast completely blocked in some other way.

You dont mention any excess smoke, so one assumes its not being starved of air...

Did this come on suddenly or get worse progressively?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I've had this problem since I bought the car, I did not notice it because I did not have any insurance to drive it!

The problem is solved, ish. I presume there was (is) air in the fuel. I depressed the bleed plunger by the fuel filter several times until it was firm, and it all came good, eventually!

At first the engine started and cut out within 1 second, then it would not start, fired every 10 seconds but did not catch. I had to do the plunger several times in between attempts and each time it started and then cut out within 1 second.

What seems odd was that it always started before and bleeding the air out initially caused it to fail.

That was all last night and today it seemed ok at low speeds but on the motorway there was no noteable acceleration that there was last night when I tried it.

I went to the trouble of getting a haynes manual from the library (fiesta but for the same year and engine i think) and some clear pipe to see if there was air in the fuel but there were no photos to help, so where should I have put the pipe to see the air?

Were can the air be coming in from? Is it possible to have air getting in but no fuel leak (there is no smell)?

Reply to
mark_doherty

In message , mark snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

[snip]

The diaphragm in the bleed primer is knackered. Its a very common problem on these engines. You have to buy a new fuel filter housing as the primer is integral with it. You can buy them from motor factors a lot cheaper that Ford sell them for (voice of experience unfortunately).

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I've been to a couple of motor factors but they can't get hold of them.

Anybody know where I can get hold of one in surrey/hants?

The symptoms are that when the engine is off, the primer can be pressurised. As soon as the engine is on, air gets in and it needs priming again. If the diaphram is knackered would you expect it to pressurise with the engine off with 2-3 presses?

Can air be getting in from elsewhere without a diesel leak?

Reply to
mark_doherty