Small auto wanted - suggestions please

Hi,

Starting to think of replacing S.O.'s car with something more recent and hopefully econimical than the old 416. Any comments on Pug 206 as an auto? Probably harder to find but worth looking for Diesel version?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
PH13

Honda or Jazz CVT7 is by far the best supermini auto.

Pug or Ford Fester *conventional* auto (they do two, make sure you know which is which) or Micra eCVT are the next best.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

My wife has a Fiesta 1.4 with the "unconventional" auto (the Durashift EST "automated manual"). I know everybody says such boxes are cr*p but to my mind they are perfectly acceptable. The economy and performance is essentially identical to the manual (ie about 10% better in each case than the conventional auto) and they are a lot cheaper to buy than the conventional auto. You do get a bit of a jerk on each gearchange, of course, but not significantly worse than in a normal manual.

Where they do lose out compared to the conventional auto is creeping up hills. On the flat they creep just fine, but you can't hold on a hill for a long time like a conventional auto 'cos you'll burn out the clutch. Providing the driver knows how to use the handbrake, it's not a problem!

Tony

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info

They can work well enough. While they work. Which is not usually for very long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)