So the escort passed its MOT

...with surprisingly little work for its age.

Rear fog switch =3D =A327 Coppergrease for brake mech. =3D =A34 Welding (from a pal) =3D =A327 MOT test =3D =A335

So as someone said a while ago, that's not too bad for a 15 yr old car

- especially as the old MOT ran out in April!

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy

In message , McKevvy writes

Not a bad price for an MOT either. I'm expecting to pay about £54 for mine next week, but I will get exhaust emission readings, tyre tread depth etc.

I'm also expecting a warning about splitting bushes on the Mondeo after the occasional familiar clunk when steering slowly round a car park.

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

£54 is the max they can charge. Anything less than that is a marketing incentive. The test is the same however much they charge. £54 for an MOT is cheaper than the labour (inc VAT) for the same amount of time would cost you in a lot of parts of the country.
Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

I suppose so, even for a plumber! I'm talking about a main dealer. I go there even with a six year old car because they twice found broken coil springs on my previous Mk2 Mondeo of which I was unaware.

Reply to
Gordon H

So? Our Previa of the same age cost nothing more than the £40 MOT test. I didn't need to do anything to it.

Reply to
asahartz

asahartz gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So did SWMBO's £100 20yo 205, and her 26yo 2cv...

Reply to
Adrian

As I do all my own maintenance, I would take a failure as a personal criticism of my ability.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

True, but TBH I didn't even find time for a pre-MOT check on the Previa this time!

There are a few things you can't easily check at home though, like emissions, and things you can't legislate for that happen en-route to the test station. My campervan shed a nut from a damper en route (on the way back it lost the bolt as well) and blew a bulb in the dash.

15-minute repair, but I did get a fail first time on that one, and I had checked everything before, even the damper nut as it's near where I jack it.
Reply to
asahartz

I live quite close to Lancashire Ambulance Authority (or whatever it's called these days) Headquarters so I go to their workshop for the MOT, where they charge £40. You know you're not going to get ripped off because they don't work on Joe Public's cars, so no incentive to fail it unnecessarily in order to get work.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I usually take my car into a discount MOT station. They charge £25. There's always a duff bulb to change**, which adds £10, but even so it's cheaper than a more reputable place.

** After the first time, I checked all the bulbs carefully before taking it in. I guess that £25 is not a realistic price here in London. :)
Reply to
GB

I didn't write that, but never mind...

How do you know the bulb was really duff? And how do you know they did all the checks thoroughly? ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H