Sometimes there is real satisfaction in a repair

I've yet to know a woman who knows where the oil filler is in a car.

Reply to
Joe 60

Q6. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only). A. Press the horn and listen (turn on ignition if necessary).

lol

Reply to
Joe 60

love it, mind you I thought that the horn always works regardless, so that it can be operated even if the driver and the keys are not present.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

how to get to the hire place: drive there? most peoples' cars cost more than a grand a year in depreciation anyway. a tenner a week or so for the convenience of instant transport is not much nowadays.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

its called her husband/boyfriend or partner

Reply to
steve robinson

Round here its still "Your job"...

Reply to
tony sayer

There was a women who owned a Mitsubishi Colt?? with an auto gearbox.

Checking the oil level in the engine she was adding oil to the engine, through the filler cap each time to top up.

Till one day the car started blowing volumes of smoke from the exhaust, I think that she was pulled over and was told to get the problem fixed.

Now what was happening that each time she checked the oil level was by using the gearbox dipstick. (which never shows full when cold.)

Eventually the engine was so overfull it was blowing volumes of smoke.

But as I did the last service - about 2 months previously - my fault!

I drained the oil and it had more than double the capacity, of oil, in the sump.

Reply to
Rob

we bought a mk2 jag with auto box back in the 60's. the engine was blown through lack of oil, the owner had always checked the oil level with the auto dipstick, which was very visible and ignored the engine one which was relatively hidden at the back and dip not have a bright red plastic (?) top on it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ahhh, Shan, bless her. Wonder where she is now? She looked in the oil filler of her brand new (and she was very proud of it) Allaggro, saw there was no oil in there, so filled it up. Took loads. Must have been really empty. And then she came and asked us why it wouldn't start. Indeed, wouldn't turn over ... And leaked a lot of oil.

Reply to
Huge

I don't think so, but I haven't actually worked it out.

Depreciation is minimal now. Tax about £125, Insurance a couple of hundred IIRC, MOT £40, servicing about £60ish.

I also actually rather like the car :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Worked in a petrol station as a sixth former, sometimes with a nice young lady. I just managed to stop her putting petrol in the oil filler of a Renault Dauphine once. I forget the exact arrangement, but I think you had to open the "boot" and it was actually a fairly understandable mistake.

But she did know where to find the filler on the Corsair. Do you?

Reply to
newshound

Flip the number plate down and step back smartly as it drops off its rusty hinges and attempts to pin your foot to the ground.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon