is it real?

Here is a story from

Endurance Submitted By: Lora B - Bernville, PA

I am a bank courier. I bought my 99 RAV4 new in Dec., 1998. I knew I needed durability coupled with offroad capability for longevity. Six-and-a-half years later, I currently have 722,000 miles on it. I love my Rav. I replaced my engine at 523,000 (it's a 4 cylinder). I am almost 200,000 miles into the new engine. It's hard to comprehend

722,000 miles. To put it into perspective - I could have gone to the moon THREE TIMES! I learned the hard way about taking it to outside shops for service. After Independence Toyota in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, cleaned up the destruction caused by an outside shop, I logged just shy of 500,000 miles on my current transmission, and it is still working well. I have nothing but praise for my RAV4 and for my dealership. They are a great bunch of people who go the extra mile. They are the reason I'm still on the road.

722000 miles on Rav4?

Reply to
wenmang

That kind of mileage is not that unusual if the vehicle has been well-maintained. I saw several with the same or more miles.

Reply to
Ray O

Seems to me, the courier would have to drive around 50 hours a week, 52 weeks a year for 7 years to make this sort of mileage. I suppose it is possible, but it seems unlikely.

Reply to
C. E. White

We service vehicles for courier fleets. Those vehicle, as you know, can easily accumulate 100K or more annually. Because of federal tax depreciation laws fleets keep their vehicle in service for five years or 300K WOF. We see lots of courier cars, VW, Hyundai, Ford, Toyota, GM, Honda etc. the accumulate very high mileage in a very short time period. Few however go more than 300K before they replaced. It does not make a lot of sense to replace a motor in a three or four year old vehicle however, it is more cost effective to replace the vehicle rather than the motor.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

.
Reply to
SilimPicikens

What do hours have to do with it? He would have to put about 305 miles a day on it.

Reply to
Josh

Not unusual at all. Many courier cars are run SEVEN days a week and often 24 hours a day, as well. However few major fleets keep them more than three or four years

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
SilimPicikens

I just rode a chevy taxi cab that had close to 900,000 miles the owner said he replaced the tranny twice, but was on the same engine... he bought it used from a police fleet... he said the rest of his fleet all have over

400,000 miles... and this is not unusual...
Reply to
Dan J.S.

The average CV in the NYC Taxi fleets have well over 500K TOUGH miles on their clocks ;)

mike hunt

"Dan J.S." wrote:

Reply to
SilimPicikens

It is for a Caprice of Crap!

Reply to
hachiroku

Chevy Caprice may be crude, but it works well...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

My Corolla is 5 years old with 140K on it. I hope that I can put another 60K on it. But over 200K, I cannot image how it can survive without replacing half of its parts. Maybe it is not cost-effective for ordinary owners to keep a car over 200K.

Reply to
wenmang