Sounds like a Blackbird

Honest, it does!

My 2.0L 16V Cav today developed such a chirping noise that I was convinced I had a bird trapped under the bonnet. It honestly sounds like a Blackbirds song.

Any ideas - belt? bearing? - it is not continious, but comes and goes several times a minute, even when stationary and a varying revs.

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

Have you lifted the bonnet and looked in there to see if you can locate the noise? You're not giving us much to go on.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

It is really hard to tell where it does eminate from. the aircon pump is certainly making a noise, but that's more a rumble. It sounds like either the top end/cam box or somthing in the belt(s) area.

Reply to
IanDTurner

your ear, moving the other end around until the noise is loud. Don't get it trapped in a belt!

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham

Blower motor. Turn off your fan and see if the blackbird 'dies'!

Reply to
PM

Nope - not blower - I'm starting to err towards a tensioner or pulley

Reply to
IanDTurner

OK - it's cam belt related.

Just put the v belt back on ( what a game that is ) after a very quick start up with it removed - bird still there. But - I know it's not alternator, power steering, v belt tensioner or air con compressor - off to Vauxhalls then, I don't do cam belts..........

Reply to
IanDTurner

If you don't know the history of your water pump get it done at the same time, if the old cam belt is at all slack then the correctly tensioned new belt can cause a tired pump to fail. The vast majority of the £300+ you pay for the cambelt will be labour, you don't want to have to pay this twice. New water pump is approx. £60.

Reply to
PM

What it may be is the timimg belt is at an angle, my does this so when it goes near a pulley at a certain point the outside of the belt clips the inside flange of the pulley.

Take the timing cover off and see if that is your problem, you could try a little lubricant near the pulley if the noise goes that is the problem.

Reply to
malcolm

OK - you win - the bloody water pump was on it's last legs too!

Total price was just shy of £300 at a main dealer, so not too bad I guess

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

I paid just over £300 at an independent, however I trust him to do a good job so money well spent IMO

Pete

PS Was it the water pump doing the blackbird impression?

Reply to
PM

Yep - it was the water pump making the blackbird noise

Reply to
IanDTurner