Scrapes

I know this may sound inept to most, but after a trip to the Lakes,I scaped my car against stone walls[covered by hedges!] now I have some scrapes in a couple of places.They are only slight but you can feel the ridges with a fingernail so T-Cut won't do it. I have no experience in touching up car paintwork but after a silly quote from a body shop I'm about to give it a go. I know I need fine filler and sanders but all good tips will be much appreciated. The problem I had in the past was the spraying with a can,no matter how far I held it away it still seemed to run causing ridges. I know it's basic but i want to do a good job.Thanks

"Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

Get decent paint to start with (proper stuff from a paint factors, not Halfords s**te). Don't spray too much on. FWIW, the scratches might rub out with Farecla's rubbing compounds. Probably better to see if you can polish it up and make the scratches look light if not make them disappear than f*ck up painting it IMO.

Reply to
Doki

appreciate the advice I'll follow it,thanks

"Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

held it away it still seemed to run causing ridges.

You're probably spraying far too much on. You must wait in between one or two even and gentle sprays for what you have just sprayed to dry (at least 20 minutes). Then you can keep going like that until it's done. I did about 5 coats over the course of an afternoon (did a spray every so often in between pottering around with other jobs), and the results were fine.

Reply to
Dan