Spark plug supplier ?

Jus wondering who you get your spark plugs from online or in a store ?

looking for some for a mk4 vw golf.

I read that bosch super 4 are good along with ngk platinums.

Any recommendations ? The guy at halfords say they all do the same thing no point spending more on performance ones, not quite sure how to take that, looked a little miffed from the previous person in the cue who he ahd an argument with over something or another.

Reply to
GreasyFingers

Personally I buy all parts for my cars (all VAG) from either a dealer (for odd bits), GSF or Euro Car Parts, and never buy parts from Halfords, because they are often crap, and stock is nowhere near as good. I always use NGK or Bosch plugs on the petrol cars (pref. Bosch).

A bit of advice: if it comes from the lips of a Halfords member of staff, there's a good chance it's bollocks. GSF or Euro will have better quality stuff, and probably will be cheaper too.

Chris Bartram

Thanks for those links Chris.

Advice taken.

Out of curiosity really why is your preference towards bosch ? I think GSF want about £25 for 4 from memory called some time ago, the chap on the p hone said to get the platium ones as my engine will will appreciate the bang and won't be knockered at 6 months.

Reply to
GreasyFingers

Preference for Bosh? Dunno really. I suppose (notionally) German car --> (notionally)German parts. Never had problems with NGK either, but champion plugs never seemed as good.

Platinum plugs are pricey, but will last well, but any good set will last the official change interval.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Fairy enough :)

I've had champion plugs in my car when I got it and when they was changed I noticed a noticeable difference in performance. Not used NGK before, bosch has been used in the another car and has seemed good.

Reply to
GreasyFingers

For once the guy at Halfords is correct. I have never noticed any performance gains or increased fuel economy by using expensive spark plugs. People who say there is a difference notice because the ones changed are probably years old and fouled up. Similar to air filters, a lot of people only take them out when they are black!

Reply to
Trevor

Personally I would recommend NGK. Contrary to popular belief, not all spark plugs are the same. Of course, whatever the make they all work, and are no doubt an improvement on the ones they replace, but some plugs perform better and last longer than others. NGK seem to be consistently good, presumably because their manufacturing standards are higher than some other makes, like Champion which I wouldn't fit if I were given a set for free. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

What model mk4 Golf do you have? My V6 4mo uses NGK, just stick to what the manufacturer puts in.

Reply to
diy-newby