Sparkplug tightening?

Just done a service on my Daewoo Lanos (8v) but I'm not sure if I've undertightened the plugs. I fitted standard Bosch Super plugs which have a washer and put a smear of grease on the top of the threads and hand tightened them first. If you imagine a clock face with the ratchet handle at the 12 o'clock position, I turned it to 5 past but felt a fair bit of resistance so left it at that. I'm probably a bit over cautious when it comes to plugs and wondered if the resistance was the start of the washer being compressed and perhaps I should have tweaked a little bit more?

Reply to
Redwood

I always do 'em finger tight, plus 90 degrees.

Reply to
SteveH

I think they are a tad under as I did notice a slight increase in engine sound (meaty roar) when under load and the engine hot so maybe some combustion leaking through. I'll give them a 1/4 turn tweak.

Reply to
Redwood

Rule of thumb is about 12ft/lb torque so "just nipped up" which is about what Steve would be doing.

Reply to
Conor

But it's different whether you're using new or old plugs. Maybe he always means new ones. I do them until I can fell the resistance change and tend not to hang off the end of a breaker bar or anything. Buy a torque wrench if you're concerned.

Reply to
adder1969

Since fitting the Bosch plugs I today noticed a slight misfire just as you start to accelerate under heavy engine load. I have experienced this before and it turned out to be a HT lead breaking down but these are new. In the end I decided to ditch the Bosch plugs and bought a set of NGK V grooves the same as were previously fitted. Boy what a difference, for starters when tightening the NGK's you get a much better feel when the washers are compressing and can feel the springiness. A good half turn and it felt just right without much effort. With the Bosch I was using more force to tighten them just a few degrees past finger tight. Gave it a good test run under various engine loads and couldn't replicate the misfire and seems a lot more responsive. It's NGK for me from now on.

Reply to
Redwood