Anti-roll bar link tightness?

The o/s stabiliser link/bush bar snapped on my daewoo lanos (same part as fitted to the Astra). Got one from local factors for a fiver. Easy enough to fit but with never doing one before I'm not sure how much you tighten the nylon lock nut? As a guestimate I tightened till I felt the rubber bushes start to compress and checking against the n/s it looks to be a similar amount of thread sticking up from the nut. Would that be about right or is there a more precise method.

Reply to
redwood

It's called "buying a torque wrench".

Reply to
gazzafield

there is usually a spacer inside, you tighten the nut till it is tight on the spacer

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks MrC. Nice to have someone who knows what their talking about. Cheers.

Reply to
redwood

I haven't seen those with a spacer, either OE or pattern parts. I did my daughter's astra a couple of weeks ago and there was definitely no spacer. The method you used is the same as I do it, it usually means 2 or 3 threads sticking through the nut.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I assume the spacer is the hollow tube that fits in the middle. Here's a pic I found on fleabay.

redwood

My Mazda has a plastic (IIRC) spacer, but the specified way to tighten it in the service manual is 'until 25mm of thread protrudes'

When I bought it (Ebay...) both links were gone. As in... gone. No longer on the car. The anti-roll bar was just hanging loose, both ends.

It felt ever so much better after I spent twenty minutes replacing them...

Reply to
PC Paul

Ish, it's the nylock that stops it coming undone & the spacer that sets the compression, so torques even less relevant to the desired result than normal.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nah, you don't need that. Surely there's a British Standard 'grunt' rating? - I reckon a semi-grunt would do the job.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, a different item. That IIRC was the same for early astras, but my daughters one has a ball joint one end and bushes t'other. The tube was to set the distance between the two ends, it still didn't stop under or over-tightening and squashing the bushes.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I think these cars were knocked together from all the old astra leftovers. I dug out an old astra 1984 - 1991 haynes manual and the illustration shows that you measure the distance between the top bush plates and adjust the cushion setting to 38mm (or 1.5" in old money). I'll have another check laters but I think it's nearer to f*ck it than damn it. For a fiver I might even splash out on one for t'other side to even things up.

Reply to
redwood

Did the other side today but it was a bastard to remove. The hollow sliding tube corrodes to the pin and won't budge so the only way to remove is to gouge out the bottom rubber bush to gain access to the bottom of the pin and saw through it.

Reply to
redwood

I remember having a similar problem doing the void bushes on a Mk II Escort. I spent ages hacksawing, digging and bashing at a rubber bush with a corroded steel tube through the middle.

Then my neighbour just walked over with a blowtorch and without a word just blasted it.

Job done, 6.3 seconds. Grrr.

Reply to
PC Paul

I managed to hacksaw through half the bolt before getting a sweat on, then a sideways swipe of a lump hammer did the trick.

Reply to
redwood