Squealing Brakes

My brakes squeal when applied when they're cold, but when they get hotter, eg especially after a motorway run, the front right squeals quite a lot until I start braking.

Additionally if I turn to the right, the squeal goes away. The intensity and longevity of said squealing increases the further/faster I travel and 50mph appears to be the sweet spot for most noise.

There is a lip (minor - about 1mm) on the brake disc, but the pads appear to have at least half their thickness. The pads have been on the car for 2 and a half years.

a) what could be causing it? b) does the squealing at least suggest some sort of contact, therefore friction, therefore reduced mpg? c) could the pads overheat and reduce in effectiveness? d) given say 10,000 miles per year, with the pads 2 and a half years old, is it worth getting the pads changed? should i think about changing the disks?

Reply to
Simon Dean

Something's rubbing

slightly but they get really hot if it's significant.

then

if it's really bad

Cleaning the calipers & lubricating the sliders would be more beneficial

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Could be the metal on the pad coming into contact with the lip on the disc if its shiny on the lip surface. As a rule of thumb, we only used to inform customers pads needed changing if they were at 3mm or less when inspected during a service because they'd need doing before the next one. One pad could be overheating if the caliper or piston is stuck.

Without access to the vehicle, it is hard to give a definite.

Reply to
Conor

Some vehicles need an anti-squeal shim place between the pad and the caliper. Does yours need these and if so are they fitted?

Copper grease applied behind the pad can cure this problem

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

you need a mechanic to check out the front brakes, probably all that is needed is new discs and pads plus correct fitting.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The lip doesn't seem to be too shiny. One of the garages I took it to suggested it was just the lip - but given there's plenty of brake pad material, Im a bit cautious.

Here's a pic (if you can make it out)

Looks like plenty of meat on there, but I don't seem to be able to see any shims on there.

I must admit though, I really have a problem figuring out how a little bit of metal is supposed to stop break squeal.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

I must admit, I hadn't thought of that, and IIRC - I don't think they're fitted, but I think it does need them.

Reply to
Simon Dean

It just reduces the stiction so that the pad can move to a point where it doesn't vibrate, copaslip normally works just as well initially

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Easy tiger :-)

Yes he needs a mechanic but disks and pads look OK. There again he posted his photo after your post ;-)

Answer to the OP. As others said (and paraphrasing) dismantle, clean, and reassemble using copper grease on all metal surfaces that make contact (not the face of the pads/disk).

Charles

Reply to
Charles C

But surely on the surface, that would be guaranteed to reduce squeal? Important parts must be lubricated surely! :-)

Reply to
Simon Dean

Disks and pads on the average car wear out every 30 -36k, he has done 25k, so nearly there. Any wear lip visble is going to mean that the actual wear is greater than guessed at. New pad and disk kits are now so cheap that there is no point in stuffing about. In order to clean it all up it all has to come apart, so why would any sensible person do all that and then re-do it in a year or less when it is completely worn out. At the same time the fluid needs pumping out and piston smooth movement checked. In the past it was worth messing about, but with present prices of parts .....why bother doing half the job?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You could also use a anti squeal compound (silicon based) and "glue" the pads to the pistons and reduce the noise. or piston/shim /pad

Stuff like this. (Which does not dry as hard as regular silicon)

and look at this as well

Rob