Squealing brakes - new brake pads

Just had these replaced by Nationwide autocentres...

Is this something that normally stops after the pads bed in a bit or a sign of substandard brake pads used?

Reply to
paulfoel

Take it back and have them clean everyhting up for you. Glazed discs can cause squealing too.

Reply to
gazzafield

I would imagine the discs are OK though. I only had the new pads cos it failed the MOT on this.

I'm sure they would have sold me the new discs if they could have !!!!

Only reason I ask is that years ago I had a Citroen AX GT and the brake pads were dead expensive for this. A local garage offered to do it for tons cheaper. Only afterwards, when it constantly squealed did I find out it was because the pads were cheap crappy ones. Garages answer - what do u expect for the price !!!

BTW. Would you take your car back if the brakes squealed or wait a while first ?

Reply to
paulfoel

I got quoted £145 for pads and discs at national; how much did you pay?

Fitted my own for £45. £100 labour for such a simple job is pathetic.

Reply to
Robert

i agree with that,

100 bucks is too much for less than one hours work..
Reply to
bongo rule

Do they get better after a long drag on the brakes - when they get nice and warm, or when they are cold. My standard pads (toyota) dont squeel at all. My aftermarket pads queel like mad until they get up to temperature, where they then bite better and squeel less. It could be just a change in pad compound.

It could be that they left teh anti-squeel shims/springs off or it could be that they didnt clean it all up very well.

Many reasons :(

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Depends on the car.

I spent £150 having my Mondeo brakes done, saved me a *lot* of hassle with an angle grinder, cold chisel and sledgehammer.

But I did the Astra myself, no problem at all, 25 minutes if that. And that includes the cussing time before I found the screw holding the discs on...

Reply to
PC Paul

Manufacturers don't design brakes that squeal. In fact they make sure they don't squeal. Therefore if yours squeal there must be something wrong. QED.

If they've used cheap pads, that may account for the squealing but it doesn't mean you've got to put up with it. Take it back and get them to correct it by whatever it takes.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

This is correct. Theres hundreds of thousands of pounds in research going into trying to stop discs squeeling where I work, its not an easy thing to get rid of! I think their solution so far is to have a disc with non-symmetrical venting inside to prevent resonance at the normal frequencies and causes.

Coyoteboy

What about discs with no venting?

Reply to
gazzafield

:D good question - its my non-vented rears that squeel so no luck there :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy