squealing Defender brakes

Hello,

Are the new Defenders 2002 and up still suffer from the squealing brakes or did LR finally made improvements on them? My 2000 D110 brakes squeal all the time when coming to a stop. I would like to change them to newer type if they are better and improved.

Thanks.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

Are you using genuine part pads or after market ones ?

The genuine part ones don't normally squeak on any age of Defender, after market ones - especially Ferodo - use a much harder compound so they last longer (good) and squeal (bad). The genuine ones also have a damping pad on the back of them which helps too.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

My D110 still has the factory pads. Only 30,000km.

Cheers, Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

You must be a lot lighter on pads than me then :-) Mine rarely last more than 10000 miles.

Do you have disks or drums on the back ? If drums, is it the back ones that are squealing ?

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Dave White wrote in news:20031116174418761+ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

The front brakes on my '92 D90 squealed. I replaced the pads with genuine LR parts from the local authorised dealer. They still squealed.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I believe all 4 wheels are disc brakes.

Cheers, Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

My 1989 90 always squealed and rattled with non-genuine pads - fitting gen parts always stopped it.

Reply to
Exit

Just had my pads replaced...and they rattle AND squeal. Ah well.

Neil

Neil Brownlee

"Neil Brownlee" wrote in news:bpa8tm$m5a$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com:

Did you fit the anti-rattle springs?

Mind you, nothing like a good squeal to get the pedestrians and cyclists jumping out of the way! Almost as effective as the horn I got off a very large lorry for my first car, a Morgan three wheeler!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Any one bought a new 2003 Defender? Can you tell us if your brakes still squeal like a pig??

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

You must fit new anti-rattle springs every time you replace the pads.

Reply to
Exit

Are those anti-rattle springs fitted when leaving the factory? I still have the factory pads on mine, and they still squeal. Mine's a 2000 Defender.

thanks.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

The anti - rattle springs or pins? the pins are deffo new, but I can't tell if the springs are.....

(I didn't change 'em - had them done on the monter 96,000 service, front axle rebuild)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around 16 Nov 2003 23:33:43 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

the brakes on mine squeal with genuine pads, and the drums at the back squeal a different note, but they probably need dusting.

Reply to
Austin Shackles