starting laid up stored car

Hi everybody. On Monday I'm collecting a 1.8 MG that's been laid up for the past nine months. I've charged up the battery and bought some new spark plugs, will change the oil & filter. What else should I be thinking of? Thanks in anticipation Medwyn

Reply to
Medwyn Parry

Take the plugs out, stick a little oil down into the cylinders and spin the engine on the starter. This will lube the rings a bit and get the oil round the system without any load on the crank bearings.

Reply to
Scott M

Others have said about running some oil into the bores and cranking without the plugs in to get oil pressure up. This is a must. An absolute must.

How much fuel was left in it?, that'll be manky by now likely as not, so, drain it, and fit an inline filter and be prepared to clean the carb out as some of the finer drillings may be full of crud and/or the float chamber.

The clutch may be 'seized' and the fix is a bit brutal. Its usually not serious, just the friction plate sticking to the surface of the flywheel. With the car in first, the handbrake applied, wheels chocked, no plugs in the engine, hold the clutch down and crank the starter. If the engine doesn't turn, but does in neutral, the plate may have stuck.

Double check any and all hoses and pipes.

Get it running and enjoy.

Remove old plugs, crank engine til oil light goes out then fit new plugs.

Reply to
Conor