Removing alarm and starting car (MK2 Golf)

Spent the afternoon fiddling about with my "new" Golf GTI (Mk2 1.8 16V

1989) today.

Came to me via a trailer as the previous owner couldn't get the alarm/immobiliser working after it had been parked up.

It had a Clifford 50 alarm and an immobiliser labelled as Conlog.

I spent a bit pressing buttons and inserting fobs without much success so decided removal was the best option.

After removing the dash lower covers/instrument panel cover and clocks I managed to remove this lot (see url for pictures) alarm01 - alarm

03, the dog helped as best he could. ;-)

Using my non existant car electrical knowledge I managed to sift through the wires I could see had been cut/spliced/butchered etc. and rejoined them using some wrong sized crimps as that's all I coud find at the time. There's a few spare wires but they are thin ones so don't think they relate to the actual ignition, suspect they are related to the central locking/alarm led door pins

The dash lights up, lights/wipers/windows/switches all work again which was a miracle.

When I first turned the ignition back on and attempted to start the engine the starter gave it a go then stopped. It now clicks as though it was going to start then just clicks again and nothing. The battery is a spare one my dad had so obviously isn't fully charged.

What should I do next to aid it starting figuring at best it's been sat for 12 months as the tax renewal had just been sent to the previous owner when I got it.

Take the plugs out and a squirt of oil/wd40 into the bores? Get a fully charged battery and a jump pack, push the car about a bit, fresh petrol etc.

Oh and where the heck do I get a socket/tool thin enough to reach the plugs? :-( The spark plug socket I have is way too big.

Mark S.

Mark S.

Well you need to charge it up as it's not got a enough juice in side it.

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

Some clean petrol would help too .... Oh and unless you're feeling rich dont forget to sorn the car too steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Sounds like you need a fresh battery - probably the one you have on there had enough juice to turn it a little and the click you now hear is the solonoid.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan