Steering Wheel Hacked Off!!

================================== I don't think your idea is viable. Steering columns and wheels are usually splined so the nut doesn't do very much.

Strictly speaking replacing a steering column is a simple job but it's all the extraneous bits and pieces that take time and skin. It would be worth checking at your local scrapyard to see if they've got one on the shelf. If they have then it will show you what you need to do to replace.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

OK thanks I'll go and have a try and see if I can undo it from the rack, in theory I can put a replacement back

Just a wild idea here, as I've got at least an inch and a half of bare column still sticking out of the dash is there anyway a new thread could be cut at the top of it or some other way might exist to safely fix a new steering wheel, not a even Renault one, just to make it drivable?

I did drive the car home last night with a hammered on socket and a T bar, although I don't think ROSPA (or the Police) would be very happy with me if they knew. Don't fear, it's not moving again until it's properly fixed

;o)

PJ

You COULD weld on a steel centred steering wheel, but I really would not reccommend it, rethreading and a nut is not really an option though. Most columns can be changed in an hour or so.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm convinced my ABS doesn't work, but it's passed two MOTs.

Reply to
asahartz

asahartz (asahartz ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Why?

All the MOT tests is if the light comes on with the ignition, pauses, goes off - like it's meant to - then stays off.

Reply to
Adrian

Try it out and see, on an empty wet carpark preferably. If the pedal shudders and the car stops in a straight line it is ok. if the steering goes light and the car ploughs on regardless with the wheels locked then the abs is not working. Generally if the light works as it should (not tampered with) then the abs will be fine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Because I can lock the wheels up, easily, even on a dry road, with new tyres.

Oh yes, it does that.

Reply to
asahartz

asahartz (asahartz ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmmm. That's definitely not wot it should do... And they just stay locked? No flibbly pedal? No unlock-lock-unlock-lock? Nice big straight black lines?

Does it do it utterly in synch with - say - the oil pressure light or the airbag light...? Sounds like somebody's been playing.

Reply to
Adrian

I've already tried it out it out in real life! Not intentionally I might add. Fortunately I managed to stop without hitting anything.

No pedal shudder, car caries on with locked wheels.

It doesn't really bother me; I've never had an ABS car and so have never come to rely on it - the brakes are far better than most of my Minis anyway.

Reply to
asahartz

the problem is that a non abs car has brakes that are balanced front and rear, if the abs is inop then you won't have that luxury, the rears will lock before the fronts and a lovely spin will start.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

So why worry about ABS lights?

Reply to
PC Paul

because a vehicle with abs needs the abs to run to ensure safe braking, if the abs is disabled the brakes are unbalanced

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That has not been noticeable.

Reply to
asahartz

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Quite.

Bollocks.

If the ABS is disabled, the brakes work exactly the same as normal, up until the point they lock. At which point they stay locked.

Reply to
Adrian

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If that theory was true, ABS-equipped cars would be locking-and-releasing rear wheels left, right and centre in normal braking. They aren't. It's still always the fronts which lock first, even on ABS cars.

Reply to
Adrian

it has been my experience (admittedly on early granadas) that if the abs fails the rears lock first.YMMV

Reply to
Mrcheerful

you must be right, I am totally convinced by your use of abusive language.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What car is this exactly?

Reply to
SimonJ

How do you know? If the light has been on all the time, how would you know about any fault that has occurred since?

Reply to
SimonJ

that was my experience, but maybe that only applies to some vehicles, not all.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Even bigger bollocks. Hairy ones.

Anyway, many ABS vehicles do not have load sensing on the rear, they rely on the abs to carry out the same function. Without the ABS working the rear end could lock up far earlier than on the same model that doesn't have ABS fitted at all.

Reply to
SimonJ