Stiffed for road tax :-(

For the bounced cheque, you still have no road tax.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Colin Wilson (Colin Wilson ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Look, this is _simple_.

They're not trying to reclaim the value of that cheque. The tax disc that cheque purchased has been voided, because of the cheque bouncing - so that debt has been cancelled. They're square with the person who bounced the cheque.

The OP now has no tax. THAT's what's being chased.

Reply to
Adrian

There again I bought this outside Ebay after it had not received a bid, offering less than the starting price ;-)

Reply to
asahartz

That's not how the letter reads. I can't lay my hands on it right now for the exact wording, but in essence its "the cheque used to pay for the licence was returned unpaid. You are the registered keeper. Please send us another £99"

The tax disc had not been voided - DVLA still had it as "liability not due". It was the Post Office doing the chasing.

Anyway, that's largely academic, as I've now taxed the vehicle (with real cash!). Whether I get my money back remains to be seen...

Reply to
asahartz