"STOP" light on 405 - HELP!

1.9 non turbo diesel (1996 estate)

I posted a message some time ago about "STOP" light not working.

Shortly after I posted message about dash lights then they started working

80% on start up (After oil change and a bit of Gunk spray clean up on engine block may have caused this - who knows? Weather as been very hot as well)

Bit worried now as the "STOP" light comes on with the temp warning light at irregular intervals when the engine is running and up to normal temp - in fact showing 80C. (Peugeot handbook states 90c for normal temp) Fan operates when at 80c and even when engine switched off /ignition on, will operate down to under 70c.

It does switch off at a lower temp as I waited for 15 minutes and the fan did start but stopped after a few minutes. Unlike my earlier 405 it does not run on for 12 minutes after ignition switch off.

Could this just be a faulty sensor/faulty temp gauge or maybe water pump problem? Rad water level is ok, no sign of overheating, and no cap lift off to discharge water. No sign of bubbles in water etc.

Are the temp sensors colour coded? where on engine block?

Would it be prudent to have a compression test just to see if the head gasket is going - (New head gasket and only done 7000 miles since renewal) No sign of any oil leakage.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
sid

Sounds more like a faulty max temp switch. Peugeot tend to mount all the coolant sensor switches on/near the thermostat housing. Easiest option would be to try a new switch. Also easiest way to find it, is wait till the light comes on, then try unplugging each sensor until the light goes out.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Tried the brown connector at thermostat housing. Gave it a bit of a wiggle and the fan stopped.The fan goes into "full on" mode with the switch removed and ignition on.

Out in town traffic today and temp goes up to 90c before fan cuts in (normal mode) looks like a loose connection caused the problem.

Nostalgia mode going back 20 years - never had electrical problems with my old Ford Capri - or engine problems - or mechanical problems. It did rust and getting more than 22mpg on a long run was a problem, but then it was way before speed cameras.

Think I'll have a search on ebay to see if any Capri's for sale. I'm fed up with all this sophistication in cars. All I want is for the thing to start and stop.

Many thanks for your help

Reply to
sid