Astra ("Y" reg.) ignition key.

Um. She's only got one key. There *will* be a disaster. The garage (yes, that expensive one) has estimated £130 for a new one. Are there cheaper workable alternatives?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I would doubt it. The immobiliser is in the key you see.

Reply to
gazzafield

For my R plate Astra you can get them for £30 or so from Timpsons. Maybe the later model has the Texas chip, for which you need a dealer (and they need to reprogram the car)

Reply to
Newshound

You're not having much luck with this car!

It all depends if you want a full key with the remote locking on i,.or just a basic key.

For the full key, retail price is £60-80. The basic key is less than £30.

Plus you've got programming, which will vary greatly between places. From memory, the time allowance is half an hour to program a key.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Just had the same with a '01 Omega (also VX).

Perry's (VX) wanted £95 and car-pass to order a key cut, then would require to book the car in to program the immobiliser and RCL transponder.

Local locksmith wanted £25 to cut a laser key, £30 to program key / immobiliser. They couldn't supply the RCL transponder (it's a composite construction - key element and RCL fob), so in the end I bought that from Perry's for £22. Locksmith then "cleared the codes stored in the car", married the transponder to the car and the RCL component of the key. So, all in all, £77 for a new key. Still expensive, but close to

1/2 the price you've been quoted. Shop around!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Dodd