Stop start engine

My Rover Metro 96 has started spluttering, like it isn't getting enough fuel.

It happens occasionally, but its getting more and more common.

I'll be driving and suddenly the engine will splutter, as if it isn't getting enough fuel, then it'll do it a few more times, then it'll be fine again.

Its hard to show my mechanic as it doesn't happen all the time.

Any clues?

Thanks

Reply to
Garland

The message from "Garland" contains these words:

What engine? IIRC the 1.1 still had a carburettor at that age - though I could be wrong. If it does then unscrew the black knob on top, top up with oil (just to the bottom of the well) and refit carefully - it's easy to cross the threads.

Reply to
Guy King

No, they went to CFI after about 92.

I have a 1.1 on an n plate and that is cfi.

I would firstly replace the distributor rotor arm (as they are a very common fault) and, if it looks doggy, the cap. A new fuel filter, unless very recent, then move onto plugs and leads.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Its a 1.4, fuel injected I think,

I looked at the cap and rotor a few months ago and they were fine, quite new, as were the plugs, but I'll check them again.

Where is the fuel filter on a Rover Metro.. should I buy an original Rover part, or will any do?

I thought it might be the filter as it sounds like fuel's not getting through, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Garland

a rover one is preferable, but I wouldn't worry, a pattern one will be ok. fairly sure it is at the back of the engine bay.

the rotor arms can just fail, they can still look ok, but give rough running one minute, ok the next.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

OK.. I'll try the filter then the arm.