Strange Toyota RAV4 ABS problem

It's a '98 Rav4, 34K miles and well looked after. Started to develop a judder on very low speed braking. Not all the time, about 50% but no pattern, always at very low speed, typically under 15mph approaching a junction. It's been like it for a couple of months and is not getting any worse but needs to be fixed.

Unpluging the ABS mobule (so light comes on all the time) problem goes away so it is ABS cutting in. Thoughts are one of the wheel sensors is probably telling computer the wheel has stopped turning so braking system releases pressure on that wheel. That part makes sense.

I've cleaned the sensors and checked all connections but all looks fine. Suspect it is a wheel sensor but they are best part of 100 quid each (and only source Toyota dealer) They are also different for each wheel and sadly the RAV is not recording any fault codes in it's computer so I can't really play "Russian Roulette" until I find it.

Anyone any ideas ? Or maybe it's something else on the RAV that is a common fault that causes these symptoms ?

Thanks, DC

Reply to
David C