Stripping a Multipla head

Our poor Fugly is a little ill. 105 JTD. It seems that the problem is most likely the gasket, cracked head or valve problem, if anyone has any input as to which is most likely feel free to offer input. It runs as if only 3 cyls are firing and lately has been losing water with no evidence of any leaks.

It is under warranty with a limit of £500 per claim.

The mechanic who has looked at it reckons that the head needs taking off to diagnose it properly. I am shit at fixing stuff but like most blokes rather brilliant at pulling stuff to bits.

Can I do the pulling to bits myself, it would be nice to do this myself to save labour costs then just get the problem diagnosed then fixed with the warranty covering (most?) of the cost? If so please offer any advice as I can't find a manual to cover this engine.

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
R D S

If you start ripping it apart, you'll void the warranty.

Where the hell did you get it from? - I've never seen a warranty with a limit of 500 quid per claim.

How long have you had it - I'd be going back to the dealer with the SOGA, 'cos, unless the car has very poor history and / or starship mileage, then that's not an expected failure. (In fact, it's the first JTD I've heard of that's done that).

Aside from that - shop around for labour costs, that engine is pretty simple, so any VAT registered mechanic should be able to have a look for you.

Reply to
SteveH

Warranties 2000 in Leeds, better than f*ck all when buying a 2nd hand car I guess.

We have had it 11 months, 62k miles, no adverse history. Would I have a leg to stand on with SOGA? It was an independent car sales outfit.

Reply to
R D S

11 months is quite a while, to be honest.

However, I'd seek advice from Trading Standards.

Can't remember the age of it, actually..... that would be useful info.

It does sound like you have a fair basis for a claim against the dealer, 'cos it's only *just* out of the mileage stipulations of the original Fiat warranty - although I suspect it'll be well over the age limit.

Reply to
SteveH

I think they are a branch of warranty direct, is that a bad thing?

I have to be honest i expect the worst when it comes to warranty companies.

Reply to
R D S

try here for some help

i should imagine thats why they sold you a warranty, id be very surprised the warranty company will pay out if you do it yourselve, as it has to be repaired by a vat registered garage, we do warranty work, be they ( the warranty companies) are a pain in the arse.

not warranty direct by any chance is it ?

Reply to
reg

warranty holdings /warranty direct, pain in the arse !!

we always expect the worse when dealing with warranty companies, they always want a strip & report before issuing a claims number, so if its found not to be covered by the warranty your a bit stuck with a dismantled car & a bill you have to pay.

They never pay full labour rate, they supply their own parts, normally supplied by Unipart so they control the cost.

what we do now is get the customer to pay us & they have to get the warranty company to reimburse them, as we got pissed off waiting for payment for a job that we had to do at a lower rate.

Reply to
reg

Right, so at best I will be paying out up front for the job, subsidising the labour costs and waiting an age for payment.

Is a head gasket likely to be covered under one of their gold plans, or will they call that wear and tear LOL.

Reply to
R D S

If this was a Honda, I'm pretty certain Honda would be bending over hand and foot, as has been reported in the past in similar instances.

It's FIAT, I know of no instance of them giving a customer the benefit of the doubt when out of warranty. No criticism to them directly, very few manufacturers follow up on their promises, not disimiliar to politicians. It's been mentioned before, but I believe the results from contributions from the public to the Reliability indexes speaks volumes.

Reply to
r_trainer

At 7 years old, I'd doubt it very much. In fact, I'm 100% certain Honda wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Indirectly, Fiat have, as they've sorted out broken cambelts on Alfa

156s after they revised the change interval.

However, we're not talking about the manufacturer's warranty, we're talking about tacking the used car dealer who sold it.

Reply to
SteveH