Stripping paint

I'm having a spare sunroof re-sprayed and decided to bare metal it first - it has a few scratches etc.

I've done one before and used Nitromors. Just tried it and it doesn't touch it. It says 'new' so have they changed the formula?

So what would be the best stripper to use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

bead blast

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Fine if you have such a place close by.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On one of those Dave/Quest car programs based in an Indian workshop they did a whole car with bits of hacksaw blades.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

You need the correct type of nitromors , there are several types for different types of paint these days

Reply to
steve robinson

you could give these a ring, I bet they will know or do it themselves: CROYDON ELECTRO-PLATERS

2, Bridge Parade, Waddon Road, Croydon, Surrey CR0 4JH Phone: 0208 6884709
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah - I suspected as much. Obviously H&S at play. Instead of selling a dangerous chemical which works you now get one which doesn't - and at a higher price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

something like that , try brake fluid , that attacks both cellouse and acrylic based paints

Reply to
steve robinson

Is nothing sacred?

Reply to
Marzipam

I've just spoken to Henkle who make Nitromors. Their tech guy said dichloromethane which was the active ingredient of the old Nitromors was banned by the EU recently. Hence the new formula - which he said isn't as good. He could only suggest mechanical removal of the paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's interesting information.

Although I don't like to use stripper as it may stay in the cracks and groves and cause paint problems if its not cleaned thoroughly.

My preferred method is to use a cone type wire brush on a 100mm angle grinder.

Reply to
Rob

Prepwheel on a grinder ..

Just used one to clean off paint on my Landrover, works a treat.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I use this as I find it doesn't clog as much and lasts longer. Wear goggles as wires break off after a while.

Reply to
Rob

I got some manders paint stripper with dichloromethanein it about 3 months ago, try & buy it somewhere professional.

Reply to
Duncan Wood