Alfie gets paint, we get screwed

Sorry for the harshness of the subject line, but thats how we feel. As most of you know, we've had an on-going love-hate relationship with the entire process of getting our 1958 beetle painted. Going on nearly two years now, we were excited to hear Alfie was finally done!

The painter called me Friday morning, to tell me the car would be ready around 3-4 and we could come by and get her. The painter called me again around 3:30, only to 'confess' that He hadn't painted Alfie himself after all, but had sent her to Maaco! Now, don't get me wrong, under the right circumstances, and with enough money in hand, Maaco can do a presentable job. When you look at our pictures, you can see the color is dead on, and some areas of the body area actually shiny, and smooth!

So the painter lied to me. He lead me to believe in the morning that he had done the job, and wanted 'full' payment. When he called me back, he charged me only Maacos fees (substantially less)! He saw the job Maaco had done, and felt guilty for the 'quality' they presented him with. I had already set up the job with another Maaco shop, that would have given me a much better end product, and IF Alfie had gone there, I am sure the final finish would have been great.

So, we will be having the painter return Alfie to the Maaco in question, and we will be getting the body BLOCK sanded before paint!

see the pictures here...............

vwluvrs

Blimey!! A heading like that is like an open invite, not? :0)

Sorry have not read the content yet..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

.............Wow Terry. I can't believe that anyone would pull a stunt like that. It seems that paint & body work is the refuge of more than a few scoundrels and not just out where you live. It must be tough for them to do mechanical/electrical repair work on modern cars with the electronic engine management systems of today and the paint & body business is the only option left for these jerks.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I had a friend send her corvette to a shop, the guy took it to a maaco shop in florida, brought it back and charged her his full price.

Its hard to paint over the junk paint maaco uses you might have to have it stripped if you want something that will last.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
Braukuche

Alot of it has to do with the paint used, and if the painter cares or not about what there doing. But thats what got me painting 20 yrs ago.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

having grown up in a family full of mechanics and bodymen i do see the "quality" of the painjobs(factory) today...it is bad...really....we bought the wife a new mazda last summer....the paint quality on it is good, but alot of the "other" cars we looked at looked as though a drunk painted them....sad really

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Being a 'wannabe' painter and having read the articles, I being told that preparation is very important. The wrist action ( calm down) is important, the distance from the metal is important, and also the painting conditions & drying. If these large factories have lets say, perfect conditions, bare metal, robots that know how far to paint, ovens etc, why on earth can it go so badly wrong ? Is it just pure sloppy money saving ?

james

Reply to
Juper Wort

good question James....most, if not all, manufacturers electrostatically paint their vehicles now....maybe equipment, materials, etc, have changed and the finishes are just not what they used to be...maybe it all comes down to production taking priority over quality of the finished product...who knows, but i can guarantee you that as long as everyone keeps buying them they won't change a thing...

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I hate to say it, but that paint job is bad even by *my* standards.

Reply to
Shaggie

I also think most customers just don't notice. They see shiny paint and that is enough, they don't notice the peel. BTW, not sure if this is true, but a buddy of mine said that VWs originally came with some peel, too. I can't imagine that any manufacturer would take the time to color sand their cars and buff them because of the amount of time it takes would be prohibitive. Is it possible to get a really flat paint job out of the can so to speak without color sanding and buffing?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

the single stage paints do flow out well...but you will never get the "flatness" or "depth" without colorsanding and buffing...

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I've noticed that Mazda paint is pretty good (or at least it is on my parents 2003 323 Sport), but I know what you mean about modern cars. Some of the paint is HORRIBLE!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars/email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

good possibility your parents car is the same as my wife's...its a 2003 mazda Protege ES..

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Okay. I know everybody thinks I'm a car idiot but even *I* know that's horrible. I've seen better crap come out of a high gloss rattle can. That just hurts. I could only look at the first 6 pictures until my neck hurt from cringing. I woulda kicked the CRAP out of the idiot that sent Alfie to Maaco. I hurt for you, Terry.

Kidd What's the difference between a northern fairytale and a southern fairytale? A northern fairytale starts out "Once upon a time..." A southern fairytale starts with "Ya'll ain't gonna believe this shit..."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

I'm not too sure, the US Protege seems to have a boot/trunk, whereas the UK 323 is more of a large hatchback.

Maybe another case of "badge engineering" between countries :-D

It looks like this:

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars/email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Nice car.......the protege(now mazda 3) was the same only a sedan...that car was marketed as the "mazda 5" (for five door) but is just the "hatchback" version...very decent cars(for an economy car)... i don't have a pic handy of ours, but you can see what we Americans get by searching google images for "2003 mazda protege" .... you will see he protege and the mazda 5...ours is "lazer blue mica"....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
ilambert

Wow....I actually didn't think it looked that bad. Except for all the dents.... I guess I just don't know what to look for in a good paint job. Of course, compared to my tri-colored '73. everything looks good. What exactly is orange peel? I hear this mentioned all the time, and I have no idea what it is.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Like it sounds, it is paint with the appearence of an orange peel. Instead of flat the paint surface looks like it has craters in it. It is caused by the paint not being properly mixed and or atomotized. You can usually correct the problem by wet sanding and buffing. I also used to be pretty clueless about paint jobs until I started doing my own. I always thought if it was shiny it was good, but there is a big difference between a quality (read expensive paint job) and your typical factory job or aftermarket, read Maaco, job.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche