SU petrol pump

The relay drivers on a Megasquirt ECU use a (22v) zener between driver transistor collector and ground. The board runs mainly on regulated 5v, so saves having to have the 12v supply for the relay brought close to the driver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, so the zener isn't across the coil. Your case is one I described where a zener could and would be used.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'd be inclined to use the device made for the job, a transient voltage suppressor (TVS) such as

Either bi-directional or unidirectional could be used but bi-directional has the slight advantage of keeping the pump "as was" in case you ever want to use it in a positive earth car.

page 7

Reply to
Peter Parry

You're confusing me with too many choices again, what's the difference? Looks like I'll have 4 left overs.

Okay that looks like the capacitor has been replaced by the TVS.

Now it's back in the car I'm not inclined to crawl under there again for a while. I prefer the ticking of the original, it reminds me that when we were broke 45 years ago I used to mistune the radio so I could listen to the pump as rapid ticking meant I only had about 1/2 mile left to run.

Now I can't decide whether to visit next with the bike or car

AJH

Reply to
news

These two are bidirectional so OK.

This one is unidirectional, so getting the polarity right is critical.

The article didn't use a zener. It's a bidirectional TVS:

A diode across the coil, the right way round, would be much cheaper.

Reply to
Fredxx

I think that is what I said.

5p compared with 25p is indeed a lot cheaper. However, I'm not convinced the difference is significant.
Reply to
Peter Parry

It's not Peter and the TVS is what I'll be doing, especially as it fits where the capacitor is currently soldered.

AJH

Reply to
news