supermarket forecourt?

Is a supermarkey forecourt a highway or is it a curtilage? I'm asking because I narrowly espaped being run down in the supermaket
'land'. A car came straigt at me at speed while I was walking across at normal pace, the driver not taking any notice or slowing down because of my presence. I know there are sometimes striped crossings which you can use, but thought these were for convenience for the lesser mobile customers.
On 24/07/2018 19:38, johannes wrote:

The issues is more usually if it was (a) a road or a public place or (b) neither. Many Road Traffic Act offences cover actions on a road or other public place - from causing death by dangerous driving through to careless and inconsiderate driving. And supermarket car-parks are usually "public places" when the supermarket is open. If the place is neither a road not a public a place then, if you had been hit and injured, a charge might have been brought under section 35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving). Subject of course to the facts and evidence to prove them.
--
Robin
On 24/07/2018 19:38, johannes wrote:

In general they are 'public places' not 'roads' but I can't see how that makes any difference in the situation you described - striped markings are for the convenience of lesser mobile pedestrians even on highways.