Gotta Great MG?

Hi Folks

I know that is easier to knock a car and recommend that the owner should buy something else but, considering that the MG is the most popular sports car in the UK.

IS ANYBODY ACTUALLY HAPPY WITH THEIR MG?!

Reply to
Dave Bower

Mine isn't running at the moment (and hasn't for 15 years - LONG story involving a crazy wife and divorce), but will soon again be on the streets. I've had offers and wouldn't sell.

And I've re purchased an MGB V8 conversion to boot.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I LOVE MY MGF!!! Unashamedly proud of it!!

Reply to
Graham Martin

Me too with my TF160. Can't understand why people keep knocking them. Everyone at work takes the p**s but the girls look at it and what really made me smile was when, yesterday, I was in the newsagents getting a copy of MG Enthusiast magazine (now combining Total MG if anyones wondering where that went); Just getting back into the little rocket when a small boy, bag of sweets in hand, said "Nice car mister!". Kinda reminds me of when I was that age and said much the same thing to a guy in an '84 Lotus Turbo Esprit. mmmm.....Espritlicious.

Anyway; Great handling, Fast enough, Nimble, Great Fun! All it needs is a bit more character in the sound department but a replacement exhaust system and induction kit should sort that out.....

Reply to
Ian Wilson

I am!

I'm on my second, I swapped my 97 MGF for an ex demo model TF in the MG bankruptcy sale. :O)

My old F was cheap to run and very reliable, I put 83,000 miles on it and enjoyed every one of them. My only real expense was replacement tyres. :O)

Reply to
Nick Mason

Nick, how much was your TF. I have just picked up an MG TF 160 for £7995. THe best deal I could get from the dealers was £17000!

Reply to
Dave Bower

Dave, I landed on my feet!

On the day they announced they were going into receivership I called in and asked the staff if they had any bankrupt stock going cheap.

At that time they had no idea what the position was and prices were still as they had been but of course there were no customers.

He asked me if I wanted him to contact me when they knew what was going to happen so I said yes, left him my mobile number and promptly forgot all about it.

It was about three weeks later that I got a call early one Saturday morning from him telling that the Sale starts today. I toddled round there to find chaos, there were people everywhere and they were buying cars.

They had 5 or 6 TFs, mine was on the forecourt at £9600. It was a demonstrator with 2500 miles on the clock, it's the 1.6 TF115 model with a few extras, PAS, mud flaps, mats and an upgraded stereo. It also came with an RAC warranty, Scotchguard etc.

After driving it I decided that it didn't seem much slower than the old one, I wasn't bothered and at the price it represented the best value of all the available ones. I was also very taken with the colour, white with a blue hood, I've never seen another white one.

They had 2 brand new unregistered 135 models, the 05 version with the glass rear window, on the forecourt at either £13995 or £14995 I can't remember which. There was a Steptronic at £11995 on a 54 plate and a couple of others, one was a

160 demonstrator in that dark metallic silver/grey with leather and other goodies. I can't remember the price.

When I finally got to speak to the salesman he told me he'd sold 8 cars since they'd opened! But no TFs up to that point.

I thought the killer would be the expected crap trade in offer and I'd decided that I'd probably keep my F and decide what to do with it later.

My F was a 1.8i, not the VVC, and it had

83k on the clock, it was in good condition but only had one week left on the MOT and a weeks tax on it, and it needed 4 new tyres for the MOT.

He looked round it and offered me £3000 for it! I nearly bit his arm off up to the elbow! I suspect that I was the first person to show any interest in the TFs and they were probably thinking they'd need to make me an offer I couldn't refuse or they'd end up stuck with them. Hah!

Two days later, on the Monday morning, I called in to drop my insurance cert. off and prices had risen a lot. I asked him about it and it seems they'd badly misjudged peoples interest and they'd been just about cleaned out on the Saturday and Sunday so they'd raised their prices. They were taking loads of phone calls from people trying to find specific models in specific colours or trim levels. Oddly enough they still had the 2 unregistered TFs and the price had risen £16500 and a couple of 52 to 54 plate second hand ones.

Most of these and the 2 new ones had gone when I picked mine up on the Friday.

Speaking to friends and colleagues up and down the country it seems that there was a narrow window when prices were really low but due to the general clamour prices started to rise fairly quickly, I'm not sure if the pricing policy was down to individual garages or MG Rover.

I have one friend in East Anglia who dithered and ended up not getting one, he's kicking himself because he hung on to see if there were going to be further cuts. By the time he realised his mistake TF prices seemed to have risen almost to the point where they were before the trouble if you were prepared to shop around.

Reply to
Nick Mason

I would suggest that your friend has a look on Autotrader.

I am collecting a 55 plate 1.8 VVC shortly for only £7995

I have heard there my be more on the market

Reply to
Dave Bower

I'll tell him as he's still looking.

Reply to
Nick Mason

A big hallo from Holland,

Sure I'm happy with my MG's. For summer use only is my 1971 primrose yellow MGB. Very reliable and always a joy to drive. Once a year it is taken abroad with some fellow MG Carclub mates and it has never let me down. In fact the MG brand is very popular in our small country. The MG Carclub alone has almost 4000 members.

For daily use is, since june, my ZT 135 cdti in x-power grey. I picked it up at the auction which was held here in Holland after MG/Rover Holland went broke. It was 2 months old at that time with 11.000 km's. It has al the goodies you can nowadays want, like parkassistance, halfleather, navigation, rainsensor, xenon, cruise control etc. Prices here aren't comparible with the English ones, but it cost me only 45% of the listprice. And believe me this was a true bargain. Since then prices have risen and last week a car with exact the same equipment was sold for 76% of the original price. The car drives like a dream and has'nt had a single problem up till now. The only thing I am missing is a bit off horsepower, so I'm going to visit the chiptuner in january. It is a very reliable tuner with a lof of experience in BMW engines and they think they can get it up to 155 a 160 bhp. And than it will even be more fun.

Ad Tetteroo

"Dave Bower" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Ad

If anyone doesn't like theirs over there, just send it over to the USA. We love them here. I own 4 and have a garage full of spares.

Mark Hooks

Reply to
Mark Hooks

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting 10 years since I was 16 and they first came out to get one, and I wasn't dissapointed. All I need now is summer and I'll be a really happy bunny. It's the only car I've ever watched on Top Gear and thought "ooooo I want one of those".

:))

Reply to
Matt Overton

I thought the F/TF didn't meet US regulations?

Reply to
Steve Loft

He's probably talking about the older models.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Oh, I see. I only got the original message in quoted form, and I thought the OP must have been referring to the F/TF - you don't seem to get many owners of older MGs being unhappy with their cars.

Reply to
Steve Loft