Suzuki Brakes Binding.

I posted this on the Group at the end of July....

I suspect that I have a problem with the front disc brakes on our car. >That is the brake pads are not 'clearing' the brake disc, they thus >'rub' and are heating up the wheel.

This was a hasty opinion, and is not correct. The pads are well clear of the disc, and the caliper moves freely, just a mite, from side to side.

After a vacation, I started to 'try' to fix the problem, and so far have gotten nowhere. Thinking that the wheel bearing was kaput, I changed the bearing. That was a just a waste of time and money: no problem there.

After running the car for appx. 15 min's [ or less time if I brake hard several times ] the left front brake starts to 'rub' ; then within minutes the entire disc/caliper assembly is smoking hot, and the wheel locks up.

At that time, removing the front wheel shows the pads tight against the disc. Pushing the brake pedal has no effect - does not free the pads. Gradually as the heat dissipates, the disc is freed and, when cool again, the entire disc can be spun by hand easily with no apparent contact between the pads and the disc.

Sure could use some advice / direction, I am getting nowhere.... fast. John Hewitt Malaga Spain

Reply to
John Hewitt

Sounds like a faulty master cylinder.

Get the brakes hot and binding, then try opening the bleed nipple, and see if that releases the brakes. If it does, then you need a new master cylinder.

Reply to
SimonJ

could be a faulty caliper or brake hose. when the brake is stuck on, release the bleed nipple if the brake frees off straight away then the caliper is ok, the problem lies further back, first suspect is the flexible brake pipe, to check, when the brake is locked on release the inboard end of the hose, if the brake frees then the hose is ok and the problem is further back, repeat as necessary back to the next connection.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds like a hydraulic fault, first suspect is the flexible hose to the caliper, try a new one & bleed all the old brake fluid out (tip, a gallon of brake fluids almost the same price as 500ml )

Reply to
DuncanWood