Swap distributors - points to electronic?

Is it possible, feasible to upgrade from points to electronic timing simply by swapping distributors? From slightly newer Nissan Micra automatic engine to automatic older model - '88? Problems? Straightforward? Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
Paddy

Hi Paddy

No its not, electronic distributors need some additional electronics.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Is this model specific ? Cos I just changed from points to an electronic Bosch dizzy and all I needed was the dizzy, a coil and a length of wire. Admittedly this was on a stone age Ford :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

In message , Steve Sweet writes

And these additional electronics are ................?

Reply to
Paddy

Also sprach "Steve Sweet" :-

Though this is sometimes bolted to the outside of the distributor - or even internal.

Reply to
Guy King

Depends on the type. Some are totally self contained requiring only the addition of a 12 volt feed. And possibly changing the coil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi there

It can be, some cars were a simple upgrade, not necessarily so anymore.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Hi Paddy

An amplifier, usually an inductive discharge system and something to modify timing, that may be mechanical, may be electro mechanical.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Hi Dave

There ya go, additional electronics.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

I'd say electrics, but then I'm a stroppy bastard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True ;-)

When I built the MkII Escort based kit car 15 years ago I replaced the 'electrics' (points, condenser, coil) with some 'electronics' opto chopper and Luminition amp (as the opto sensor wouldn't drive the coil directly though I'm sure there are some that can / could).

I've just pulled the similar OEM system out of the Sierra re Bosch dizzy and external electronic amplifier (the two are joined together using 'electrics' though Dave) ;-)

Mind you I believe both the above are analogue, whereas I assume all the EMU based stuff are 'One's" and "Zero's" ?

All the best ..

T i m (computer / electronics / electrical engineer) ;-)

Reply to
T i m