Phillips Vision Plus bulbs

I bought a set of these only 13 months ago and although they were a great improvement on the original bulbs, they both have just blown within a few days of each other. Luckily I had kept the original (3 year old) bulbs as spares.

I know others in these groups had said they had bought some of these. Has anyone else had any early failures?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Ever heard that old expression: "burns twice as bright for half as long!" Well it's much, much worse than that. +10% on rated Volts = minus 50% on life for most halogens. Fortunately most life claims are based on the design voltage being 13.8V. Typical life for most quality H4 (to 50% survival of a given batch sample) is 400hrs or so. HTH, JB

Reply to
JB

Halfords 30% brighter Zenon things. Put a pair in, in May 2000. One failed today after having needed a few taps to encourage it to light last week. It's had a rough time over the last few months. The end broke off the link rod on the pop up mechanism and it's not been seating on to the stop since, so it has been vibrating a bit.

Peter Hill

I'm afraid it's the price you pay for the more efficient lights. Mine have lasted more than 2 years, but then it obviously depends on use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Mine still seem to be going strong and must have been in for 18 months now (so about 50 or 60,000miles).

On top of that I drive a Volvo so I think I am doing okay as these things tend to eat bulbs.

Reply to
Networkguy

Bought a set of those bulbs just over 2 years ago and use it nearly every day and still going strong.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I had a pair of Philips Vision Plus for a year in a Nissan Primera, still working OK now in my son's car for the last month. I've gone over to Osram Silver Stars which are slightly better. I once tried Halfords 30% brighter bulbs and they both blew after 5 months.

Reply to
Steve B

I put these in my Astra once, and they were still going strong when I sold the car a year or so later.

I put them in my Focus last Feb and one blew in September. My driving patterns haven't changed between having the two cars, and I was surprised that it blew this early.

I replaced them with a set of Osram SilverStar, as they got marginally better reviews in the press. They are still going strong. Hard to say if there is any difference between these and the VisionPlus without doing a side by side comparison, though both are better than the standard Ford/Vauxhall ones by a long shot.

My VisionPlus main beam lamps are still doing fine, though they rarely get the chance to get used what with the traffic these days!

Gary.

Reply to
Gary McClean