synthetic or semi synthetic oil

"Huw" wrote They did specify a Ford and API standard and the API viscosity

Keyboard slip. Of course the viscosity scales are a result of the Society of Automotive Engineers work, not the American Petroleum Institute.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Looking on ford TIS, yes this is true, but as far as I know 5/30 is only available as a semi. Any other grade they specify is out of date. I seem to remember they launched a technical bulletin on the grade. I have spoken to many mechanics who say 5/30 only.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

The best synthetics do manage this. Crappy semis and mineral oils will not.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Mobil 1 is availble in 5/30.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Some multifleet and dedicated diesel mineral oils are rated up to 60,000kms use. API has its first long drain specification as CH4 which is available from many brands as a multifleet multi-rated mb228.3 and with petrol API SL. Viscosity might be a limiting factor.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yes, that's what I use, but it is a semi, a bit misleading as I myself thought mobil 1 was only a synthetic until I bought this stuff.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Although Mobil do manufacture and market mineral oils and blends both as their own brand and for other brand labels, Mobil1 is purely a synthetic range of oils. What makes you think that the 5w/30 viscosity version is a semi-synthetic?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Because the bottle I've got in the garage clearly shows on the label, "mobil

1 super FE, SEMI-SYNTHETIC".
Reply to
Dave Griffs

Kwik-Fit use oil from a bulk container labelled Mobile 1 semi-synthetic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They use cheap knock-off? Why am I unsurprised?

Reply to
Adrian

While you just may be right, doesn't it say 'tri-synth' or 'super-synth'?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Where did you get it?

I can find a reference for "Mobil Super FE", which is a 10W-40 and "Mobil Super FE Special" which is 5W-30. However, neither of these have "1" in their title.

I can find no reference to a "Mobil 1" family oil that isn't fully synthetic. Are there any addresses or suchlike on the bottle to indicate the market in which the oil was originally sold?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle