technical question (clutch replacement)

That depends on the alignment of the engine / gearbox if it's East-West it's no different from most FWD cars, if it's North-South then it's awkward (tip if removing one of these gearboxes, there are two 12mm studs (one each side) that attach the bell housing to the engine - remove these studs as it makes life a lot easier.

Reply to
Jerry.

Indeed - I've done a couple, and by far the easiest method is to lift the engine/gearbox out of the car as one lump, then separate them on the floor/bench. It _is_ possible to unbolt the engine from the gearbox with both still in the car, but on the 1.7, 1.4 turbo and diesel models, there just isn't enough room to pull them apart far enough to change the clutch without messing about undoing the subframe and other bits.

Not the most straightforward of small cars to do a clutch change on, so 6 hours for a Renault 5 isn't unreasonable. Although I've done it in 4 once...

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell

Fairly easy to kill one in a 4WD Sierra in that time.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well yes, but I've never come across anyone who owns one of those that can drive, they all seem to think they are the next Tony Pond...

Reply to
Jerry.

Hi "Simone O."

What colour is it?.