temperature gauge

hi all,i am new to the site,and would like to say hello to everyone :

.i have a fiat coupe 20v turbo,went to work today and saw m temperature gague did not move at all,can anybody help.many thank

-- maso

----------------------------------------------------------------------- mason's Profile:

this thread:

mason

mason wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

First thing to do is establish whether the engine is in fact getting warm or not. After a few miles, try the heater - is it as hot as usual? At the end of your journey, look under the bonnet and find the two big hoses going into the radiator - one at the top and one at the bottom. Feel them - are they both about the same temperature? A 'no' to these questions means that you need a new thermostat. A 'yes' means that the engine is warming up as normal and that you have an electrical fault.

The other possibilities are that you have a fault with the temperature guage itself, the wiring connections or the sender (this is the electrical device that measures the temperature).

I doubt that your thermostat is at fault because I would still expect the guage to rise just a little. It seems more likely that you have an electrical fault. First check that it's warming up properly.

Reply to
Stu

Have you ever checked the coolant level?

Reply to
Conor

A very good question!

My lady friend bought an L reg Astra several years ago off a work colleague, 'as seen', and one thing I noticed was that the temp gauge didn't go to a proper working temperature, about 10 or 15° low. I thought maybe the sender or gauge were faulty, because the engine seemed hot enough.

Then after she had the car about two months I was looking it over and checked the levels. I had to put several pints of water in the radiator. :-( After that we checked it daily, and it was losing water, but no sign of where it was going. I had checked the levels when she first got the car, but failed to follow up. One day I was watching the engine after starting from cold with the radiator cap off, and to my dismay saw bubbles rising to the top. I took it to a Vauxhall quickfit place and he confirmed my diagnosis of a blown cylinder head gasket. The woman she bought it off sent the service record and bills to her after some heated telephone calls, and I saw that the water pump had been replaced some time before the car was sold. I reckon the pump had leaked, she had run the radiator empty and overheated the cylinder head until the gasket blew.

The Quickfit man went pale and told us he couldn't tackle it, so it cost her an arm and a leg to have the head skimmed and the gasket replaced at a Vauxhall dealer.

I paid half of her bill because I should have monitored the levels for a few weeks after she got the car. :-(

Reply to
Gordon