Temperature Gauge HELP WTd

Hi fellas

Normally the temperature gauge on my Rover 214SI 1994 stays at the 9 o'clock position and the car runs okay. Today I noticed when I started it up after it had been idle for 30 mins or so that the temperature gauge went right to the 12 oclock position but suddenly after turning the heater on it shot back down to the 9 o'clock position and stayed there. What is going wrong here, I've had a new thermostat fitted a while back and also a new radiator. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Skint4sure

I had a Toyota once that showed the same symptoms - the temp gauge would creep up higher and higher, and when I put the heater on full blast, it would drop back to normal - and changing the thermostat fixed it.

Try another thermostat?

Reply to
Mark W

Does the electric cooling fan come on, if not the thermo switch for it has possibly had it and when you use the heater its doing the same job as the cooling fan.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Cousins

Air lock in the system. Get it sorted quick as there is little coolant around the head on these engines and you will warp the head if it overheats.

You may have cleared it using the heater in this way but undo the filler neck (steading the neck with another spanner so as not to twist it) make sure all air is out then tighten.

Repeat with the cabin heater outlet and then the radiator top hose.

Reply to
Chris Street