The Joy Of Bodge

Just bought a metal ladle for 50p from Wilkinson's, cut the handle down, drilled a hole in the stub of the handle, and bolted it on under my 106 so it sits under the one spot that it drips oil from and catches the drips. Hopefully the motion of the vehicle and the air rush will tend to prevent it from getting full. Ah, lovely, lovely bodging. :-)

I tried some of that pour-into-your-oil seal conditioner but it didn't seem to help. And I can't be arsed to try to find and fix the leak on a 500 quid car.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Well done. I'll have to see if that works on the wife's car. The trouble with hers is that the oil seems to be fairly well spread over the underside of the engine. Whether is only drips off one point I haven't actually investigated.

Are you sure you're not a Sheddi in disguise?

Reply to
malc

All well and good until you hit a speed hump I should imagine. ;-)

Reply to
jackhackettuk

"Vim Fuego" wrote in news:%nO0h.40322$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:

Next stage will be a scavenger pump with a tube into the ladle? :-)

Reply to
Tunku

And you have the added benefit that lots of nasty motorcyclists will fall from their machines on your oil slicks, thus helping to reduce the congestion they cause :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A friend of mine used to put a tub under his car and pour the contents back into his engine. He also had at one stage a Marina 1800 which used to leak oil onto the exhaust manifold where it would catch fire. A nifty diversion of a screen wash pipe aimed directly at the manifold cured that.

Reply to
malc

The stub that's left from the handle is only about an inch long. Anything that took the ladle out would also rip the sump off!

Reply to
Vim Fuego

A free - or cheap - method which may work is to check the crankcase breathers are clear. If I'd a pound for every case of excess pressure forcing oil past a seal...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did think that I could be just about arsed to check it wasn't something simple like the rocker cover gasket, and I have also know oil seep out of the breather pipe and the vacuum pump on this engine (TUD5), both readily fixable.

Reply to
Vim Fuego