This stunt is really possible?

Really spectacular

Koken

Looks great that clip, but I'm with you I'm not sure either :-s

Reply to
Stephen

I'm fascinated by the steering challenge - say left wiggle to get on side of tunnel then straighten, another left flick to get on roof of tunnel,

but now you're upside down I can't imagine which way to steer to get back down safely.

- I couldn't do it! ??

Reply to
Lol

Jezza did.

Though there, I don't think there was any steering intelligence when gravity took over.

Reply to
Adrian C

Yes - he fell off then the car corrected itself. Wrong car, wrong speed, wrong driver!

Reply to
Lol

Are you asking whether it's possible, or whether they actually did it?

Personally, the fact they had people standing around inside the tunnel, suggests that it was just a mock up (either putting people inside, or the car doing its bit). Personally, I suspect it wasn't 100% real.

Now, that advert with the Citroen which turns into a robot and dances? Definitely real.

David Hearn

How about the one where the car's hooked onto cables and driven back and forth to swing like a pendulum from dockside cranes? I'm not convinced by the quick release wheel attachments, but the rest of it looks possible.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Not just quick release but rotating as well !!

It could not really work since the cables would have to get longer and shorter as the car goes forward and back while on the ground. if the cables were reasonably tight even a few feet forward or back would lift the wheels off the ground. even if you could synchronise the cable extension with car movement then it could only lift off a few feet before going back down.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Another hub going the other way, could be done...

Good point. Just need a crane that's infinitely high then! Oh, except the car would never get off the ground at all.

Hmm, better add 4WD to the shopping list, to maximise the driven time.

I dunno, that loop the loop record required the car to do 36mph for a full 360°, so anything over 20 should see it lifting a reasonable amount. Then it'll return at the same speed, so as long as it can be reversed without losing momentum, it'll be back up again to the same level. Changing gear in mid air and getting the wheels back up to speed again could be tricky though...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

and to get up to a reasonable speed you would need above first gear, so reverse would be beyond its speed range, so you could only accelerate on the forward run, the wheels would have to reverse direction and so skid at each meeting with the ground which they don't show on the advert and of course keeping the car straight going backwards at 50 or more would be a little tricky as well.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you stop/start the video, you can see that they have build a smooth ramp to get the car onto the wall and down again. Yes, it is possible to do it with the right combination of curvature and speed. However, if he misses the ramp, than he will be big trouble. Don't try it without the ramp.

Reply to
johannes