Tight brake pad

Bosch

Nobody says it does last the life of the caliper. It stops you buggering the edge of the seal whilst you assemble it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks now I don't have to explain.

Rob

Right. What's wrong with the traditional red rubber grease?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea other than not going off, what's right about it?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's been perfectly fine for the initial lubrication of seals etc when fitting, so I'm not quite clear why you'd use something else? Especially since it dissolves in brake fluid nicely. Does silicone?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Generally I trust Bosch to know which one to use, I use the red stuff on old rubber seals & the modern stuff where it's called for , which is most things I've touched recently.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Righto. As a matter of interest, what is the silicone stuff called?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Says brake assembly paste on it. Came with the seal kit.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Silicon compound has taken over from rubber grease, I think mainly, because of materials used to manufacture seals and the different types of brake fluids.

Reply to
Rob

Brake fluid has to be reverse compatible. In other words you can always use the latest spec.

I have a tub of rubber grease and use it for lots of things rubber etc, and have never had it react with any.

But it could well be silicone grease is better. I'll get some when my tub runs out. About 2050. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)