Timing belt on Fiesta: when to get changed?

In message , Spencer writes

Its still 100k or 10 year whatever soonest. They do go to 100k and you don't hear of many premature failures but for peace of mind you may want to consider doing it at 80k miles. Do it once and you won't have to worry about it again unless you are keeping it for another 10 years. It should cost around £180.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Glad you asked that one.. I hadn't even thought about it and my 1.4 zetec fiesta's done 87000!! Cripes - perhaps I'd better get it done next time I have some money - not January!!

If it fails I guess that means the engine's buggered because the pistons hit the valves - am I right?

Reply to
loony

yep, throw it away if the belt goes

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi

I have a Fiesta Si 1.25 Zetec, 1998, which has done about 76,000 miles.

The Haynes manual I have for it says get the timing belt done at 100k. Is this still a reasonable mileage to get it replaced or have things changed since the book was published?

I think 100k does seem a long time for the belt to last but then I don't exactly know much about cars. It's starting to play on my mind a little bit now so I think I'll be getting it changed, anyone know roughly what it'll cost? (I will ring around a couple of places for quotes)

Reply to
Spencer

I thought the "rule of thumb" for most timing belts was 30k-40k regardless?

My 3 year old diesel Fiesta's done 30k - should i get it replaced?

Thanks in advance... and seasons good wishes btw...

-- Susan

Reply to
Tiscali

Posted 5 am Christmas morning? Have you nothing better to do :)

Reply to
Krycek

Your clock is wrong

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

That may be true for "most" engines, but Zetec's are pretty good belt wise. They aren't known for throwing their belts prematurely or at all, and I'm sure there are loads of L-N reg Mondeos and Escorts running about there with

100k + miles that have never seen a belt change.

What engine is in your Fiesta? If it's a Zetec (1.25, 1.4, 1.6 petrol) then don't worry, you've got a while to go yet.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Hi,

It's a 1.4 TDCI - don't know if it's Zetec? Is that designation applicable to desels?

-- Susan

Reply to
Tiscali

Your time zone is set wrong. The header time stamp says

Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:58:34 -0800

which make it look like tm was posted at 04:58.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

In message , Tiscali writes

No the TDCi is not a Zetec engine. I could be wrong but the TDCi may have a cam chain rather than a belt. In any case, Ford quote replacement at 150k miles or ten years.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

WOW!! 150k - is that because it's a chain not a belt? I thought this "cam-belt change" on any vehicle at n000's miles was a preventative thing; not necessarily related to wear, but to pre-empt any failure, which, if it did happen, would mean you'd have to throw the engine away as it'd be dogmeat...

-- Susan

Reply to
Tiscali

WOW!! 150k - is that because it's a chain not a belt? I thought this "cam-belt change" on any vehicle at n000's miles was a preventative thing; not necessarily related to wear, but to pre-empt any failure, which, if it did happen, would mean you'd have to throw the engine away as it'd be dogmeat...

-- Susan

Reply to
Tiscali

Do you not consider 150k mile belt changes to both pre-emptive and preventative, presuming the thing doesn't fail before that point of course?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I posted it at 9pm the night before Christmas! I was asleep at 5am!

Where do you get 5am from out of interest? Perhaps my newsreader's set wrong.

Thanks everyone for the advice in this thread and Happy Xmas (posting this at 2.45pm!)

Reply to
Spencer

The TDDi has a chain drive to the injection pump and then a belt drive to the cams. The TDCi varies but I beleive you are correct for the 1.4 being chain entirely.

Reply to
Chris Street

Just phoned a Ford garage out of interest to see what they'd charge (have no intention of taking it there). Was told 4 hours labour at =A390 plus VAT and the part would be around =A360 plus VAT.... making it near =A3500 and just about 1/3 of the car's current value.... OUCH! Haven't been able to get hold of my local garage to see what they say yet.

As I will probably keep the car for at least another 6 months I suppose I had better get it done or I'll be worrying about it now..

Reply to
loony

You must be in one of the most expensive parts of the UK. Main Ford dealers here in West Wales dare not charge much more than half your charge and there are plenty of competent garages that will do the job for less than £25 an hour as long as you don't expect any frills.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

That'll be why you won't want to use a main dealer.

Reply to
Duncanwood

BLOODY HELL.

Labour at the local Ford Dealer is £35+VAT.

Reply to
Conor