Tool box/chest

Pfft usually I have kept my tools in a heavy duty bag in the boot, but its a nightmare trying to find anything so I'm thinking of getting a toold box/chest affair for the boot with about 3/4 drawers should fit but the price of these is crazy!

Anyone out there have one or can recommend one ?

Reply to
Thelibrarian

Make sure you get one that locks the drawers shut even when it falls over :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:17:53 +0000, Duncan Wood boggled us with:

I concur!

Reply to
Mike P

HEHE .. fortunately the ones on halfords and sealey website seem to lock the drawers when the top lid is shut... although you have to open the top of you want the drawers to open

Reply to
Thelibrarian

Look at the range at:

The quality might not be as good as Sealey etc. but they're very adequate. I would suggest a good 'cantilever' box for in-boot use because they tend to be much more sturdy than the multi-drawer types, whilst still allowing adequate tool organising.

Whatever you choose make sure it can't move about under breaking etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

===================

Or even 'braking'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thirty plus years ago I drove everywhere with nearly all my tools in the boot, but when I nearly lost the lot to a thief I changed my approach. Why not appraise how many tools do you *really* need in the boot?

Reply to
The Other Mike

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:16:35 +0000, The Other Mike boggled us with:

Good advice. I carry a cheapo screwdriver with all the bits in the handle,a roll of string, some duck tape and a cheapo set of ring spanners in the car and I've always got knife in my pocket. If it can't be fixed with that, it's AA time..

Reply to
Mike P

In message , The Other Mike writes

NO TOOLS LEFT IN THIS VEHICLE OVERNIGHT

Reply to
Gordon H

A sign to tell people you've got tools in the back. Why does anyone stick these on their van?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

To dissuade scrotes from breaking in for a look-see.

Reply to
Adrian

But if you're a scrote they invite you to have a look see.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Most tradesmen dont leave powertools in the vehicles overnight anymore , the signs are just an additional way of putting the scrotes off , its nt only tools you lose when they bust into your van they generally do about a £1000 worth of damage by the time you account for bodywork repairs , replacement locks

Reply to
steve robinson

The only sure way is not to blank the rear windows and actually remove tools so they can see there's nothing to break in for!

Reply to
email test

In message , steve robinson writes

My neighbour across the road who works for a well advertised window company was fitting a couple of new windows and a new back door for me when a passing chancer jumped into the van parked across my drive, and drove off in it. He had left the keys on the passenger seat, including his house keys.

I drove him on a quick look round the neighbourhood in case the villain had stopped to remove the tools, but he was out of sight, and the van was found next day about 10 miles away, less tools.

I was lucky in that they had fitted the back door before the van was taken, and he and his son were just running the sealant round the edges, otherwise I could have been left with a big 'ole in the side of my house!

Unfortunately, because his van is normally parked across the road, he had to change all his house locks as well as buy a new set of tools. I see him removing them every time he parks up at the end of the day...

Reply to
Gordon H

I know a number of people in the building trade, and they all leave their keys in their vans when on-site.

It seems the risk of losing the keys is greater than the risk of the van being stolen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Most vans dont come with rear windows as standard any more you have to request them

Reply to
steve robinson