Toyota Hilux Surf engine?

A friend of mine has a 1990 Hilux Surf 4x4, with a 2.4 turbo diesel engine.

The cylinder head has cracked, so he is now looking for a replacement, either head or complete engine.

Other than the surf, any idea which Toyotas' had the 2.4 TD fitted. Or, any idea where he can find a replacement cylinder head at reasonable cost?

BTW, he's been advised that the existing head is beyond economic repair :-(

Thanks.

Reply to
Clive

Only common things I can think of are the Hilux & the landcruiser, however it might be worth actually trying a real engine reconditioners if you can't get a head. Also ,oddly, toyota dealers are occasionally very economic for old parts they have no real expectation of selling.

Reply to
DuncanWood

In news:%VIAc.860$we5.476@newsfe3-gui, Clive decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oh dear, I know a bloke in Wigan who spent about 3 years just repairing / rebuilding / sourcing Toyota Surf cylinder heads.. seems a bit of a common trait unfortunately. Next time I see him, I'll ask...

Reply to
Pete M

Isn't that based on the same Hilux engine they tried and tried and tried to kill on Top Gear, but simply couldn't?

Are the blown versions not as reliable then? (I take it the TG one was a n/a diesel).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news:TxLAc.194$z25.168@newsfe4-gui, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Dunno. All I know is every time I go to this blokes garage there's pretty much guaranteed to be a dead Toyota Surf somewhere. Has been like that for years. Geezer has got to the point where he can hold a conversation, answer the phone, talk about the footy, and at the same time rebuild a Surf top end. It's like a reflex action for him now. A touch surreal to watch, frankly.

Reply to
Pete M

The standard Hilux from the year dot uses a 2.4 engine, which was massaged into the TD in later years using a low blow turbo and intercooler- about

0.6bar boost.

The heads are the same, however as you have discovered they're not really upto to the turbo and like LR 2.5 turbo are prone to cracked heads / dropped valve seats and general overheating...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The Surf's are all Japanese imports - the UK equivalent is the Toyota

4Runner - and therein lies the problem, in that the UK engines are different. About 18 months ago a car sales place here in Preston had a couple on his forecourt and we sat in one and thought it would be ideal for our holidays.

However, we finally decided against it in the end because we heard of so many heads blowing it just seemed that it wasn't a question of "if" it would go, but when. Tell your mate to have a look here

more info.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed