Brakes on a Fiat Ducato

Hi,

I'm posting this question on behalf of my auncle - maybe you can help?

He has a Fiat Ducato 1995 (N) 1.9 TD (Non ABS)

He has a broblem with the brakes; the brake pedal is full and firm until the engine is started - then the pedal slowly travels to within

2" of the floor.

It started whilst he was away recently. He has fitted a new master cylinder, calipers, front brake pipes and front hoses

Any ideas what it may be?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Daniel O'Brien

Daniel O'Brien ( snipped-for-privacy@opeus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Has he replaced the servo? Sounds like that's the fault.

Reply to
Adrian

Without doubt the Servo is involved - none of the other things mentioned would be affected by a running engine.

Reply to
Doug

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Unlikely - the servo has a solid (under compression) link right through the middle so that it'll still work if it isn't working - if you see what I mean.

A duff servo wouldn't make the pedal go down too far. More likely to be the master cylinder - though it is natural for the pedal to sink as the vacuum develops. It may be that it's been doing it for years and he's only just noticed. The servo should hold vacuum for a considerable time - the non-return valve on the inlet may be dodgy.

Reply to
Guy King

What do you mean that the pedal slowly travels? Do you mean it travels down by it's self, or when you're pressing it?

If it's when you're pressing it, then this is how it should work. It's the vacuum supply to the brake servo building up, and helping pull the pedal down.

If you're not pressing it, and the pedal is travelling down by itself, then it's a faulty brake servo.

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Eh? I don't often drive cars with servo brakes, but I'm damn sure that I've never had a pedal sink under continuous pressure. That, to my mind, is plain WRONG.

Reply to
Adrian

If you pump the pedal on any servo assisted vehicle and use up all the vacuum, hold the brake pedal down and start the vehicle, as the vacuum builds up the servo assiatnce starts to work and helps pull the pedal down. This check is even part of an MOT, to check that the brake servo (if fitted) is working.

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah. I don't think I've ever held the brake pedal down when starting.

Reply to
Adrian