Transporting a gearbox?

I've purchased an Rover SD1 gearbox from someone, complete with V8 bellhousing, etc, so it's rather massive. Unfortunately he can't deliver, so I need to find a way of getting it from Leeds to Spalding, Lincs, at some point. I'm in Cambridge.

Does anyone know of any courier services that will collect the gearbox as it is (unwrapped) and transport it for me? What are the options?

And if I needed to get it wrapped up and protected in order to get a courier to take it, how should I ask the seller to do that? Tie it onto a pallet?

Other than that I would have to drive from Sheffield to Leeds myself when I'm next up there - but it's rather a heavy object to be man-handling into my boot!

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Ask your local removal firm to collect it as a part load on a return journey next time they are in the area. They will tell you if it needs to be palleted or wrapped.

pb

Reply to
pb

You need a friend with a trailer. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

ANC's got a 45KG weight limit before it gets expensive but it would need wrapping in something.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Michael Kilpatrick wrote in news:bs42e9$qo7$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

Stick it on a pallet and phone around your local road haulage contractors -- see Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Derry Argue

Shouldn't be hard to find someone in Lincolnshire. Get it chucked on a pallet on a lorry full of veg...

Reply to
Doki