Trustworthy engine reconditioner?

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy engine reconditioner in the North Bucks/Bedfordshire/MK area? I have a Mitsubishi Galant E33 2.0 litre which has done approx 230,000 miles. It's now getting a bit tired, smokes a little, has a trace of oil in the coolant, and the tickover is uneven,though the oil consumption at 600+ miles for a litre of 10w/40 isn't that bad. And it's on its third set of hydraulic lash adjusters - they shouldn't keep failing, should they? Sometime soon I'll have to either get it fixed up or pass it on. The car is worth little but I like it and it drives well. I've already been (newsgroups) warned off the engine suppliers in Exchange & Mart - I rang one and he quoted £695 for the whole engine inc. fitting. Compare that with the Mitsubishi dealer's ~£600 for a head overhaul, quoted two years ago.

Reply to
Geoff

Have you checked to see if Mitsubishi offer factory re-cons? The problem with a dealer doing it is their hourly rate, and in any case they'd farm out all the machining work.

There's the Federation of Engine Remanufacturers - they seem to enforce standards, but I've no direct experience of them. 01788 576465

Since this sort of mileage is rare, might be worth seeing if you can locate a secondhand unit with moderate mileage from a wreck, although it might take some finding since it's not a common car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

£695 certainly seems a lot. I can get a Ford factory recon engine for my car for £300 or so. I know it's Japanese and probably a tad more high tech :P.
Reply to
Doki

There's only one place I would go and that's Ivor Searle at Soham on 01353

720531. This may be too far for you but it might be worth it bearing in mind the implications.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

To be fair, the cavemen that painted on cave walls used more high tech equipment that your engine ;)

Reply to
Dan405

£695 could be *too* cheap (though I stand to be corrected). 8 lash adjusters fon this engine cost about £100 (excluding labour) so I suspect this is one of those engines where a full kit of bits could cost hundreds of pounds before anyone turns a spanner. I've seen E&M reconditioners criticised on the grounds that you can't buy the parts trade for the prices they are quoting for an engine reconditioned & fitted. (The allegation being that they spray the outside of some old salvaged lump, fit it and hope you don't dome back.) So far as I know, Mitsubishi offer exchange units but I doubt if they're cheap!
Reply to
Geoff

Well they're worth a ring as they'll give you a price. Otherwise

& click on find a member, southern region.
Reply to
Duncan Wood