tyre depth: when to change

Hi,

I was always told that although the legal limit is 1.6mm, you should change your tyres at 3mm.

I have measured my tyres and the front are 3mm on one side and 4mm on the other, so I guess it is time to change.

I'm not sure what to do about the back. They are 5mm and 6mm. That seems a bit too soon to change but I was thinking about buying winter tyres. If I did that I would have no choice but to swap all four. What would you do. Would you keep the rears to fit next year? I don't have a spare set of rims yet as the car is new to me.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

At the rate of tyre wear I experience on rear tyres, I would keep them; I would get another year out of them.

Only caveat would be if they were mismatched or a brand I didn't recognise.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you are thinking of buying winter tyres get 4, replace all 4 but keep the two rear ones to refit after the winter. You could keep all 4 and refit them in the spring (gives you time to see if you can afford to replace the two fronts or just pay to have them refitted for a few months). A new tyre starts with between 7 and 8 mm tread ... so losing

2mm of thread is a hefty amount.

It all comes down to what you can afford to spend.

Cheers Charles

Reply to
Charles

Check the wear bars for the depth.

Reply to
Rob

But remember that the 1.6mm was changed from originally 1mm limit.

I think just drive carefully in wet weather, knowing that your tyres aren't brand new.

Reply to
johannes

The effect of tread depth on handling is progressive. Other than the legal limit, there's no hard and fast rule. Personally, I opt for 2mm.

See chart here:

John

Reply to
John Henderson

That's fine in the dry because the contact patch with the road remains the same as the tyre wears down but in the wet less tread = less water pumped away = less grip.

Reply to
Paul Giverin