Tyre Iron \ wheel brace ?

Hi

anyone reccomend a tyre iron \ wheel brace ?

I have always used the suppied one which is a bit crap and is starting to slip.

Just wondering what a good one is \ replacement.

ta

Reply to
Tok'ra

I use an old crap torque wrench (just because I had it lying around), as the bar is about 2 ft long and has a 1/2" square drive on the end. Plenty of leverage.

You can get 1/2" drive solid bars in a similar length and telescopic ones too. Using anything that takes a proper socket on the end will ensure a decent fit to the nut/bolt head.

Or, you can get wheel braces, in the form of two bars welded at right angles, so giving a choice of four heads. Being balanced, they are quite easy to use and less likely to fall off.

Never use the one supplied with the car - like the crap supplied jack, it is an accident waiting to happen, unless you like grazing your knuckles!

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Those extending arm ones with single hex socket are convenient and reliable, max price about ten pounds

Reply to
mrcheerful

you are helping me out a lot this erm... oh dear gone 12 morning mr cheerful.

Does this appear to be the one you refer to ?

being a bit thick here but I don't know what the size of the nut is to get my wheel off ? and I have no idea what the difference is between a hex socket and a regular socket ?

Reply to
Tok'ra

They're all hex in this application. & that ones fine unless you've let a kwikfit gorilla do the bolts up with a pneumatic impact wrench. In which case Milwaukke do a really nice cordless wrench but your local garage's a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes thats the sort of thing. It should be noted that Halfrauds and many car accessories/motor factors shops sell the same thing for about £10-12 so the £8 + £6.50 postage doesn't look like such a tremendous ebay bargain to me.

Standard nuts on car wheels in my experience are 17mm, 19mm and 21mm for heavy duty stuff like vans.

Single hex means that the inside of the socket has 6 corners, like the end of the wheelnut has 6 corners. Bi-hex sockets are like 2 single hex sockets inside each other, there are 12 corners, only 6 of which grip at a time. The walls of bi-hex sockets can be thinner which makes them easier to break when you apply the sort of forces required to undo some enthusiastically applied wheelnuts. Bi-hex sockets can also round off the corners on wheelnuts more easily.

I personally think that single hex is best for wheelnuts.

HTH

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes thats the sort of thing....

The one I have was from Lidl. They come round every year. So, if you are not in a hurry, wait for the Specials next time round.

Reply to
Lin Chung

That is the sort, even Tesco sell them. They come with two double ended single hex sockets, ready for 99 percent of cars

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful